Anyone using Roland SC-55 or SC-88 alongside MUNT?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mudpuppy

Anyone using Roland SC-55 or SC-88 alongside MUNT?

Post by mudpuppy »

If you have a Roland SC-55 or SC-88...
Is it possible to configure ScummVM to automatically use either ScummVM's MT-32 emulator or the SC-55/88 (whichever is appropriate for the game)? Or do you have to manually change the ScummVM settings every time you switch from a game that uses Gemeral Midi instead of MT-32 (or vice versa)?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: Anyone using Roland SC-55 or SC-88 alongside MUNT?

Post by Raziel »

mudpuppy wrote:If you have a Roland SC-55 or SC-88...
Is it possible to configure ScummVM to automatically use either ScummVM's MT-32 emulator or the SC-55/88 (whichever is appropriate for the game)? Or do you have to manually change the ScummVM settings every time you switch from a game that uses Gemeral Midi instead of MT-32 (or vice versa)?
I had a MT-32 (still have, but not using it, since my MU90 showed up) and always had to manually set each game.

I don't think it's automatic, while i do think it "could" be implemented ;-)
Collector

Post by Collector »

While you would have to initially set it up manually for each game, you can do it in the game's settings to override the global ScummVM settings. You could also use a separate ini for each game and start the game from a custom shortcut instead of the GUI.
mudpuppy

Post by mudpuppy »

Thank you both for your help.
Raziel wrote:I had a MT-32 (still have, but not using it, since my MU90 showed up) and always had to manually set each game.
I was afraid of that.
Collector wrote:While you would have to initially set it up manually for each game, you can do it in the game's settings to override the global ScummVM settings.
You mean by editing the ScummVM Preferences file?
Or is there a way to run the sound setup that originally came with the game?
Collector

Post by Collector »

When you add a game through the GUI there are several tabs of settings. There are tabs for Audio, MIDI and MT-32. Use these to choose your settings. You can also change them for games that have already been added by selecting the game in the GUI and clicking "Edit".
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

You don't have to keep changing the global settings manually every time before playing a different game, if that's what you're saying. You can set each game's settings specifically with "Edit Game". This way you only have to set them once and never again.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

mudpuppy: A slightly clearer explanation can be found in the User Manual (work in progress):
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_ ... re_ScummVM

If you press the "Options" button on the launcher screen, then you can edit the _global_ options for graphics, audio etc. applied to all games.

When you have added a game and/or have selected one in the game list, choosing the "Edit Game" button allows you to leave the options for graphics, audio etc. at the global values... or you can select the override box and set up per game values.

You are probably aware of this, but note that not all games generate MIDI and specifically MT-32 MIDI for their music output. Some use Digital i.e. WAV tracks or CD tracks which use as-is or dumped to track*.{mp3,ogg,flc} files instead. Some generate Adlib data which is sent to our internal Adlib Emulation. We have a system where the game engine will try either to autodetect the music driver (default) or you can set this manually which does fix the value (some engines will fallback if this driver is unsuitable or fails to initialize).

There are open tasks to make this API internally clearer and see if we can make this more "automatic", but for now, best to set a good general music driver for Global (I suggest Adlib Emulation) and then override this per game:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/OpenT ... _Selection
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/OpenT ... figuration
mudpuppy

Post by mudpuppy »

Well now I feel kinda dumb. I'd assumed that "Edit Game" was for changing the folder that Scumm was pointing at because it was between "Add Game" and "Remove Game." Having separate "per game" settings will make things much easier.
digitall wrote:You are probably aware of this, but note that not all games generate MIDI and specifically MT-32 MIDI for their music output. Some use Digital i.e. WAV tracks or CD tracks which use as-is or dumped to track*.{mp3,ogg,flc} files instead. Some generate Adlib data which is sent to our internal Adlib Emulation. We have a system where the game engine will try either to autodetect the music driver (default) or you can set this manually which does fix the value (some engines will fallback if this driver is unsuitable or fails to initialize).
Generally I understand it. It's the games that claim to support both MT-32 and General MIDI, but actually sound better with one or the other, that I find confusing. There are also some games with sound effects or voice as CD sound.
Which games would use the Mixed Adlib/MIDI mode that's on the MIDI tab?
Is that kept unchecked by default because few games use it?
digitall wrote:There are open tasks to make this API internally clearer and see if we can make this more "automatic", but for now, best to set a good general music driver for Global (I suggest Adlib Emulation) and then override this per game:
OK. I'll try that.
Thanks for the links.