Dreamweb resolution and fullscreen

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

abelthorne

Dreamweb resolution and fullscreen

Post by abelthorne »

Hi,
It's been a while since I haven't used ScummVM and I'd like to play DreamWeb with it. The thing is that a) my desktop/screen native resolution is 1920 x 1080 and my screen does not seem to handle small resolutions like 640 x 480; b) DreamWeb switches resolutions when launching (text in 640 x 480, then intro in 320 x 200, then intro text in 640 x 480, then the game in 320 x 200). If I set the graphic filter to 3x, the window is either too big or too small. If I set it to fullscreen, it doesn't run, as my screen can't display the game native res.

So, I have a few questions:
1) Is it possible to force the resolution of the display in Scummvm. E.g. force it to 640 x 480 then it would switch automatically to 1x or 2x depending of the base resolution used?
2) Is there a "virtual fullscreen" mode in ScummVM where instead of asking the screen to display the native resolution it would instead draw it resized (like in DOSBox if I'm not mistaken)?

Also, the hotkeys written in the readme don't seem to work: when I press alt + Enter the game doesn't switch to fullscreen, when I press ctrl + F5, it doesn't show the menu... Are these hotkeys valid only with some games (i.e. the SCUMM-based one that were the only ones supported by ScummVM at first) or is there a problem on my side?

Using ScummVM 1.6.0 on Ubuntu 13.10 (64-bit).
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

This is a tricky issue, partly with the Dreamweb engine and partly with the backend GFX/Scaler/libSDL system, hence why this problem still exists.

We really should get https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/271 fixed up and merged to allow further work on the backend issues.

The Dreamweb engine should be changed to use a single 640x480 surface then and upscale the 320x200 game graphics to fit... then the GFX_HALF scaler can be used to bring this back down to 320x200 for small screen devices?... Or should we skip the 640x480 output or downscale internally on the engine side. Rather tricky to do this in a way that satisfies all users.

Currently, I would only suggest avoiding using FullScreen as the windowed mode SDL handles the mode changes in a better way.

As for hotkeys, they should work.. Try F5, ALT-F5 and/or CTRL-ALT-F5 instead... Not sure about fullscreen switching.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Lost in Time does something similar. The title screen that's shown for 5 seconds at the start of the game is using a resolution of 640x400, while the rest of the game plays in 320x200.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

digitall wrote: The Dreamweb engine should be changed to use a single 640x480 surface then and upscale the 320x200 game graphics to fit... then the GFX_HALF scaler can be used to bring this back down to 320x200 for small screen devices?... Or should we skip the 640x480 output or downscale internally on the engine side. Rather tricky to do this in a way that satisfies all users.
Wouldn't that somewhat limit the scalers you can use for the game, though? There are times - admittedly rare - where I don't want ScummVM to do any upscaling or aspect ratio correction of the 320x200 graphics. (Debugging with Valgrind comes to mind.)

Would this be the kind of problem that the OpenGL renderer would eventually solve? I.e. I imagine it should be possible to specify a resolution for it and have it render whatever images ScummVM feeds it at that resolution, no matter what size they originally were. But I don't know what the status of it is.
abelthorne

Post by abelthorne »

Some of the hotkeys seem to work (e.g. ctrl + F5 for the menu), don't know why they didn't the other day. Alt + Enter doesn't switch to fullscreen, though.