SOUND SYNC / DELAY SOLVED !!!

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sabot4ge

SOUND SYNC / DELAY SOLVED !!!

Post by sabot4ge »

hi guys, thas my frist post here at scumm forums. I´m a REALLY big fan of the good old days just like you all are and here goes my contribution.

I solved my problem with sound delay, (speech out of sync).
I know that sound problems can be very specifc depending on the system so i will describe excatly what i did.

# If someone wants to make a cleaner version of this tutorial and without the english erros BE WELCOME =) #

MY SYSTEM:
Athlon XP 2500+
1gb ram
ABIT AN7 (onboard SOUND)
windows XP SP3
Geforce 6600GT 128mb

## ATTENTION ##

This tutorial was tested under WINDOWS XP, and DO NOT adresses specifc sound card problems. If you tried everything and nothing worked, try this =)
Linux users with sound problems can always try the "kill the server sound solution"
TIP: UBUNTU FIXED ALL SOUND PROBLEMS, I RECOMMEND USING UBUNTU
http://www.ubuntu.com/

## PROBLEM ##

Well, in my case (and most of the cases) the audio of the game is compressed in formats such as OGG, FLAC, etc.
What happens is when you install a LOT of codecs FOR THE SAME THING the program becomes confused of what codec use, and thats when comes the delay. Sometimes you already unnistalled the codecs but a simple line in the windows register can cause the delay. In this tutorial we will learn how to erase such register lines. :D

## SOLUTION ##

1 - Frist of all unnistall ALL your codecs (YES ALL OF THEM!), we're gonna install a new codec pack and older codecs can cause trouble.

2- get the KL CODEC PACK (NOT the mega one)
http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm
i like the full version.

3 - I use the default install with no problems. The default install has
NO double codecs in it. After install the kl codec pack, TEST if evertyhing is OK (just play some ogg or flac files)

4 - NOW THE TRICK !!! -=> KL codec pack comes with a tool called codec tweak tool, you can find it in the start menu
K-lite codec pack -> configuration -> Codec Tweak tool

run it and chose FIXES and let the frist 2 sub options marked

VOILA the magic happens =) the tweak tool detecs what register line is broken and fix it, and FOR ME solved the delay sound problem!!!

## THINGS THAT I DIDN´T TRY ##

1 - run the codec tweak tool standalone (without the KL codec pack)

## THANKS FOR SCUMM VM TEAM! ##

well, thats it. Sorry for my very bad english, its not my native laguage.
Hope this help people. Post your comments, bugs solutions, etc.

# If someone wants to make a cleaner version of this tutorial and without the english erros, BE WELCOME =) #