Broken Sword: Cat bug in Syria (and possibly some others)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

vintagegames

Broken Sword: Cat bug in Syria (and possibly some others)

Post by vintagegames »

After spending quite some time trying to figure out what to do next in Syria, I looked up some hints and found out that the cat, when sitting on the shelf, is supposed to be startled when the shop door opens. Now I had already tried that several times, and it had not worked.

I then found the following bugs and glitches:
http://www.justadventure.com/Walkthroug ... hrough.htm

I would have assumed that this is an engine-related problem, i.e. that it shouldn't occur with SCUMMVM. Obviously (and unfortunately) I am wrong.

So my questions:
1. Does anybody have the same problem? I searched the forum for 'Broken Sword Cat', but without any results.
2. More importantly: Does anybody have a solution?
3. Does anybody have any experience regarding the other bugs mentioned in the link? I also went to Syria after Spain (I actually thought it wasn't even possible the other way round since you need something from Spain before you can 'unlock' Syria as a travelling destination when being in Paris again).
Jimbob

Re: Broken Sword: Cat bug in Syria (and possibly some others

Post by Jimbob »

vintagegames wrote: I then found the following bugs and glitches:
http://www.justadventure.com/Walkthroug ... hrough.htm
This bug list or whatever it is (I haven't bothered to read most of it) is for the Gameboy Advance version of the game and ISTR that this version was full of bugs ... so it probably has nothing to do whatsoever with the PC version..

I didn't have a problem doing the cat bit using ScummVM, so you're probably doing something wrong. it's a long time since I played BS especially at this location.
vintagegames

Post by vintagegames »

I hope that the bugs are restricted to the Gameboy Advance, but I am still facing a similar problem (I can ring the bell and the door opens - it just doesn't do anything).

I just found out another interesting thing: After having petted the cat so that it jumps up on the shelf, you can do the same thing again for about half a second (i.e. the spot where the cat was still reacts to the click). After that, the cat acts scared and runs away instead of jumping back onto the table. However, it doesn't break the statue. And the bell still doesn't make any difference.

I could of course post my savegame if someone is willing to try it out.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

vintagegames wrote:I could of course post my savegame if someone is willing to try it out.
If you suspect a bug, filing a report in the bug tracker and attaching the save game would, of course, be a good idea, yes.