How can I use Sold Out Broken Sword 2 in OS X?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Brucedes

How can I use Sold Out Broken Sword 2 in OS X?

Post by Brucedes »

I just bought the Sold Out version of Broken Sword 2, but am at a loss at how to use it in Scummvm for OS X. With my other scumm games, they're all just standard lucasart discs, so I can copy the CD and run the game, but Sold out uses its own installation software and everything, and I don't know if this will work.

Plus you also need those Cutscene packs for it to work.

Can someone guide me through running the game? I don't want to use a PC to play it (For Obvious reasons :P)

Thanks
clem

Post by clem »

if you have those new Sold Out version which only has an .exe you're out of luck without windows - best guess would be to extract the .exe in some PC virtualisation program or probably Wine, or extract it on a real PC and then copy the data

sorry
clem
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

clem wrote:if you have those new Sold Out version which only has an .exe you're out of luck without windows
Not at all. It all depends on what tool was used to create those. They could range from Zip and Rar (self-extracting archives), which could be processed by standard archivers, to InstallShield, which could be handled by synce or orange (both are on http://synce.sourceforge.net)

After all there is always WINE for Darwin aka darwine (http://darwine.opendarwin.org/)

Eugene
Brucedes

Post by Brucedes »

Darwine would work, except I'm on PPC, not intel.

Either way, I've decided just to install it on one of my PCS, then copy the folder over to OS X for playing. Simple :)
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

There are some Unix tools to access Windows installer exe files but for the life of me I can't remember where or what they are called ..... give me a day or so and I'll remember!
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Jimbob wrote:There are some Unix tools to access Windows installer exe files but for the life of me I can't remember where or what they are called .....
Read what I wrote above :lol: synce and orange.

Eugene
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Brucedes wrote:Darwine would work, except I'm on PPC, not intel.
Judging from Darwine site, it works on PPC.

Eugene
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

sev wrote:
Jimbob wrote:There are some Unix tools to access Windows installer exe files but for the life of me I can't remember where or what they are called .....
Read what I wrote above :lol: synce and orange.

Eugene
Sorry .... the nice weather is playing tricks on my brain! Apologies.
Brucedes

Post by Brucedes »

Darwine doesn't work properly on OS X, due to the different processors, they are however working to combine it with an x86 emulator, to run windows apps natively in OS X (Slowly, but still usable)
Brucedes

Post by Brucedes »

I got it running, with cutscenes, however, in game voices don't work. Does anyone know what I can do?
clem

Post by clem »

Brucedes wrote:I got it running, with cutscenes, however, in game voices don't work. Does anyone know what I can do?
do you get any error messages? maybe it can't find the voice files. Also copying the SPEECH cluster files to the main game directory could be worth a try
Brucedes

Post by Brucedes »

clem wrote:
Brucedes wrote:I got it running, with cutscenes, however, in game voices don't work. Does anyone know what I can do?
do you get any error messages? maybe it can't find the voice files. Also copying the SPEECH cluster files to the main game directory could be worth a try
Yeah, I figured that out about 1 minute after posting that :P But thanks for all the help, it was appreciated. Ah well, back to BS2 :)