MT-32 Emulation not working under Windows 8

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Charles

MT-32 Emulation not working under Windows 8

Post by Charles »

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my computer to Windows 8, and I don't think the MT-32 emulation is working. I've tried with my mt32 roms in both the Extras folder I'd specified, and then also in the same folder that ScummVM is in.

I've tried with the release version 1.5.0, and with today's daily build (1.6.0git2497-g93763ac Jan 22 2013 05:48:50).

I have set the MT-32 Options Tab to use MT-32 Emulator device, with the True Roland MT-32 checkbox enabled.

In every scenario, I do not get the green loading bar before the game, nor the translucent message simulating the MT-32's digital display. And of course, it doesn't *sound* like MT-32 audio... it sounds like Adlib. Any suggestions?

(EDIT: I'm running 64-bit, btw, and I also tried in a Windows 7 64-bit Hyper-V virtual machine, but the game crashed on /audio/mixer.cpp, or at least, that's what the error messagebox said-- it was a pre-compiled binary, as well.)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

You no longer get the green loading bar when launching a game any more, the newer versions of munt now initialize almost instantly.

To get the MT-32 emulator, you need to place the MT-32 ROM files, i.e. MT32_CONTROL.ROM and MT32_PCM.ROM, inside your ScummVM's extras folder. Then, in the launcher, in the Audio tab, choose "MT-32 emulator" as the preferred device, and in the MT-32 tab choose "MT-32 emulator" as the MT-32 device.

Which game are you testing the MT-32 emulator with?
Charles

Post by Charles »

md5 wrote:...in the Audio tab, choose "MT-32 emulator" as the preferred device...
Ah, bingo, I was missing this simple step. Been a while since I'd re-installed my computer, and thus set up ScummVM for the 1st time... I had forgotten this one little thing.

That sounds *much* better. (QFG2 and QFG4; excellent progress you're making on QFG4, btw. It's been so long since I actually played through it, I forgot how beautiful that game's atmosphere can be.)

EDIT: The worst part is, I actually did go to the wiki first and then google for instructions on setting up the MT-32 Emulator... I guess I must have glossed over the audio tab bit. Anyway, thanks again. :D