Full Throttle - "file is not open"

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

BeerDeer

Full Throttle - "file is not open"

Post by BeerDeer »

Hello there.
I just tried to play Full Throttle (english, full), but ScummVM crashes as soon as I click on Start. The DOS Window says "file not open!!", I don't have no idea what this means. It does not say what file :?

I compressed the sound, but even if I use the original MONSTER.SOU it happens.

I already read the FAQ and tried the forum search, but I can not handle it (its bombing me with false results). Please gimme a hint :oops:
Thanks

edit: Whoops, ScummVM 0.8.2 stable w32 port is used :roll:
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Full Throttle - "file is not open"

Post by eriktorbjorn »

BeerDeer wrote:Hello there.
I just tried to play Full Throttle (english, full), but ScummVM crashes as soon as I click on Start. The DOS Window says "file not open!!", I don't have no idea what this means. It does not say what file :?
My Full Throttle CD has a folder called data which contains a bunch of files which I believe are related to the arcade sequences. If I remove this folder, I get the error you describe. Does that help?
BeerDeer

Post by BeerDeer »

Not really. I deleted all unneeded files by using the gamefile list (checked serveral times if I kept the right files and folder structure).

As soon as I'm back from work (hooray) I will try to start the game without deleting and converting files, may that help.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

BeerDeer wrote:Not really. I deleted all unneeded files by using the gamefile list (checked serveral times if I kept the right files and folder structure).

As soon as I'm back from work (hooray) I will try to start the game without deleting and converting files, may that help.
Specifically, the function that produced the error message for me is used to load the the following files:
  • roadrash.rip
  • roadrsh2.rip
  • roadrsh3.rip
  • goglpalt.rip
  • tovista1.flu
  • tovista2.flu
  • toranch.flu
  • minedriv.flu
  • minefite.flu
I've changed that particular function to produce a nicer error message, but of course there's no guarantee that it's the same function that causes problems for you.
BeerDeer

Post by BeerDeer »

Hi. Just got back from hell and tried to run the game without touching the files: It worked! Maybe I got some different version? As soon as I delete all "not needed" files the error message appears again.

By the way, my video and data folder are located in a resource folder, I need to move them out of it to get the game identified by ScummVM.
tanatie

Post by tanatie »

I think the safest simplest way for everything to work is to keep the original files (all of them) in the subfolders AND copy EVERYTHING to the root folder...that way everything worked for me so far...
BeerDeer

Post by BeerDeer »

Right you are, but I'm about to create myself a DVD with all Adventures supported by ScummVM, so I can easily access them at anytime. To get them all fit on it, I need to get rid of unneeded weight.

And, well, I feel myself more professional by doing it :lol:
tanatie

Post by tanatie »

in that case I won't stop you...you could wait a couple of years till we get dvds with greater capacity...
raina

Post by raina »

DVD's with greater capacity? Do you mean like double sided R/RW discs or the next generation blue laser discs?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

But the trouble is, within a few years time, just think about how many more games ScummVM will support. The Feeble Files, for instance, which comes on a whopping 6 CDs, would use up a standard size DVD all itself.

:lol:
BeerDeer

Post by BeerDeer »

raina wrote:DVD's with greater capacity? Do you mean like double sided R/RW discs or the next generation blue laser discs?
Not necessary as long as you delete all unneded files, convert sound and compress the games with 7-ZIP. I even have enough space to burn english and german version of the games :o
dreammaster wrote:But the trouble is, within a few years time, just think about how many more games ScummVM will support. The Feeble Files, for instance, which comes on a whopping 6 CDs, would use up a standard size DVD all itself.
Jepp, I'll need to update the Image. But the games are worth to trash some DVD-R's :wink:
Anyway, its better than search a hundred discs and doing all the deleting and compressing work again and again.