BEST WEBSITE FOR DOWNLOADING OLD GAMES????

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bobana

BEST WEBSITE FOR DOWNLOADING OLD GAMES????

Post by bobana »

Hi Guys,

I need some suggestions of websites where I can actually download the games to play through scummvm ie day of the tentacle, sam and max, indiana jones etc pretty pleeeaaase :)

Thanks!!

:D
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

The games you mentioned, as far as I know, are no longer for sale, but you might be able to find copies on Ebay or Amazon.com

Legal downloads of games can be purchased on such sites as GOG, DotEMU, and Steam.

Also, refer to http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Where ... _the_games
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

You can buy both Indiana Jones games here, along with Loom and The Dig: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2102/ ... 234__103_1
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Also, please be aware of Rule #0:

0) No Warez. No Abandonware discussions. Links to content of a questionable nature, asking for, offering, or asking for help/helping to process such content in any way or form is not tolerated. No, it's not okay to request parts of a game either, even if you already own another version of it, or to replace damaged media. Consider Copyright FAQ.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

CaptainJei wrote:You can buy both Indiana Jones games here, along with Loom and The Dig: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2102/ ... 234__103_1
Though as far as I've been told, those versions don't work with ScummVM. Not out of the box, at least.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Oh, really? But is there a way to make them work that you know of?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

CaptainJei wrote:Oh, really? But is there a way to make them work that you know of?
The way I heard it was that they embedded some of the game data files into the EXE files. I think I saw some forum post here about how to extract them so that ScummVM can play them, but last I heard ScummVM does not do this automatically. I guess everyone just figured that "Fine, LucasArts still don't like us, so let's not provoke them. Now they can answer the players who get stuck at the tomb spire in The Dig [1] themselves."

[1] Quite possibly the most reported ScummVM bug that's actually not a bug.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

That's kind of a drag. I've reached the point that I would never want to play a Scumm game outside of ScummVM. But I did some looking around, and it seems people who really want to extract the data can figure out how to do so elsewhere. I'm just glad I have my old disks/CD's.

And I guess it's been too long since I've done a playthrough of The Dig, because I can't even remember that! It's always been my least favorite Lucasarts game, but still pretty solid compared to a lot of other adventure games out there. I'm thinking it's time to revisit it.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

CaptainJei wrote: And I guess it's been too long since I've done a playthrough of The Dig, because I can't even remember that! It's always been my least favorite Lucasarts game, but still pretty solid compared to a lot of other adventure games out there. I'm thinking it's time to revisit it.
I'm keeping this vague to avoid giving others spoilers, but there's a certain action on a certain object that will only work if Boston knows there's supposed to be something special there. If he doesn't know, he'll just make a remark and nothing more happens.

It's an easy thing to miss if you get stuck and have to resort to a walkthrough. And that's probably why it's been reported as a bug so many times over the years.
ionfly

Post by ionfly »

eriktorbjorn wrote: Though as far as I've been told, those versions don't work with ScummVM. Not out of the box, at least.
Does that go for all games out of the box, or just LucasArts games? I'm trying to get Star Control 3 started on my iMac 10.6.8, to no avail. ScumVM doesn't seem to like it. Can anyone offer any tips, or alternatively any titles that will run on 10.6.8? I'm looking for something along the lines of Alpha Centauri, some kind of (intergalactic) strategy game. I did try Settlers 7, but it runs slow on my system. My iMac 4,1 is running an Intel Core Duo Processor 1.83GHz with 2G RAM. Any tips would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance... :)
Buddha
ScummVM Developer

Post by Buddha »

ionfly wrote:I'm trying to get Star Control 3 started on my iMac 10.6.8, to no avail. ScumVM doesn't seem to like it. Can anyone offer any tips, or alternatively any titles that will run on 10.6.8? I'm looking for something along the lines of Alpha Centauri, some kind of (intergalactic) strategy game.
ScummVM is not an emulator, it is a compilation of recreated game engines that run only certain games. Star Control 3 isn't one of them and never will be (It doesn't fit into ScummVM's goal at all). Same goes for Alpha Centauri. But to see what games you *can* play with the latest official release of ScummVM (i.e. ScummVM v1.5.0) see http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/1.5.0/

Kari Salminen / Buddha^
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

ionfly wrote:Does that go for all games out of the box, or just LucasArts games? I'm trying to get Star Control 3 started on my iMac 10.6.8, to no avail. ScumVM doesn't seem to like it. Can anyone offer any tips, or alternatively any titles that will run on 10.6.8? I'm looking for something along the lines of Alpha Centauri, some kind of (intergalactic) strategy game. I did try Settlers 7, but it runs slow on my system. My iMac 4,1 is running an Intel Core Duo Processor 1.83GHz with 2G RAM. Any tips would be very much appreciated.
To complement the previous answer I will add that if you have the DOS version of Star Control 3 you should be able to run it with DosBox (on Mac I would recommend to try Boxer). The game is also sold on GoG.com supposedly with support for Mac 10.6.8, but I don't have that game so I cannot confirm.

What I can confirm is that Master Of Orion (bought from GoG.com) works flawlessly on my iMac Core Duo 2 GHz with 1G RAM and OS X 10.6.8. If you have not played that game before I would recommend it.

And you can also play Spaceward Ho! (and you can try if for free).