need help & info for discworld 2...

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tanatie

need help & info for discworld 2...

Post by tanatie »

I'm sorry I'm posting this here but I just don't know where else to ask...

Any ideas about whether or not I can play Discworld 2 - mortality bytes and 3 - noir (especially 2) on windows xp with scummvm? if not what else can I do? I really loved that game years ago and since then I've read every discworld book I could find and now that the game could be even better (couse of the refferences) I can't seem to find a way of playing it anymore. Thanks for the help!

P.s.
you did a great job with full throttle and curse of monkey island. I enjoyed both games for the first time since their release. I had some problems finding out that they worked with scummvm though, so that's why I'm asking about discworld. Does it work with scummvm or is there a simmilar program or something? thanks again guys...
Last edited by tanatie on Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Bottom

Post by Big Bottom »

The ScummVM team are in negotiations to get the Discworld 1 & 2 source code from the developers, unfortunately it seems to be taking them a long time to find the code so there's not a lot anyone can do. Terry Pratchett has approved everything though.

Discworld Noir I doubt will ever be supported by ScummVM, though I'd love to see it happen. I think some people have had it running on XP natively, though I've never tested my own copy. If you can get it running there's a bug where you cant load a savegame from the intro menu, you can bypass it by starting a new game everytime and then loading your save.
clem

Re: need help...

Post by clem »

tanatie wrote:Any ideas about whether or not I can play Discworld 2 - mortality bytes and 3 - noir (especially 2) on windows xp with scummvm? if not what else can I do?
not sure why you are posting this twice:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=1189

(see forum rule #7: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=17 )

and giving posts a more descriptive topic than "any ideas" or "need help" might give you better chances of replies too

clem
tanatie

Post by tanatie »

@big bottom: thanks, actually I had discworld noir running on xp once but it gave me an error after about 10 minutes and closed itself...hope they make scummvm work with discworld soon.

@clem: I posted it twice because, like I said, I didn't know where I should post it, besides not everybody reads through the whole forum. You're right about the topic though...

p.s.
so there's currently no way of playing discworld 2 on windows xp?
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

tanatie wrote:so there's currently no way of playing discworld 2 on windows xp?
DW2 works decently in DOSBox, providing you've got a good machine.
clem

Post by clem »

Kaminari wrote:DW2 works decently in DOSBox, providing you've got a good machine.
speaking of, they released DOSBox 0.65 yesterday (first new official version in over a year) - http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

edit - link fixed, thanks dreammaster :-)
Last edited by clem on Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Remove the www. and use http://dosbox.sf.net/
tanatie

Post by tanatie »

Kaminari wrote:
tanatie wrote:so there's currently no way of playing discworld 2 on windows xp?
DW2 works decently in DOSBox, providing you've got a good machine.
funny though...I tried using dosbox, I have a 1700mhz pentium with everything pretty good (though the graphics card could be better) and it didn't even start running...also some other games I tried with dosbox were either really slow, with skipping sound or both...there were only a few that were running without any problems...so I'm really glad I found about scummvm...tonight I'm gonna play dig:) hopefully it will work:)