MT32 emulation now slows down most games (on Windows 7)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

That's a good idea, so I tried it. Background processes weren't much of a problem, but I tried running the introduction to EcoQuest, which has a lot of graphical pixel-by-pixel fades, both with MT-32 emulation and with the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth. On the processes tab of the task manager, CPU ranged from 30 to 70 with the wavetable synth, and 70 to 98 with the MT-32 emulation.

Under the Performance tab, CPU usage fluctuates between 20% to 100% with the wavetable synth, and it stays pegged at 100% with MT-32 emulation.

Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

Post by Serious Callers Only »

Now? True Mt32 emulation always was a big drain - it's actually faster now, in modern machines, because of the better compilers (for those modern machines) and more polish.

Scummvm is actually using a 'stable' fork for some reason though.

If you have ubuntu, you can try the most recent mt32emu in dosbox with this:
https://code.launchpad.net/~i30817/+arc ... ox-patched

CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

I don't rightly understand it. Using MT-32 emulation with the newer snapshots of ScummVM causes ScummVM to hang hear and there, causing the Windows 7 'hourglass circle' to appear black borders to turn white in fullscreen mode.

For the most part games are still playable (though with a lot of sound stuttering), but if there are any screens or animations with a lot of palette shifts (such as Roger Wilco travelling through time in Space Quest 4, or the Fens in Conquests of the Longbow), the games become slow as molasses, and it can take up to several minutes for it to realize that I pressed Alt-X or Alt-F4 to quit.

CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

md5 upgraded ScummVM to the latest version of MUNT, and now everything works perfectly. There're no detectable slow-downs anymore. ... Hooray!