Fatty Bear: Floppy vs. CD-ROM

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Retrodude

Fatty Bear: Floppy vs. CD-ROM

Post by Retrodude »

I recently acquired the DOS Floppy version of Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise. While I can note that it does run in ScummVM, there's a slight difference between the floppy version and the CD-ROM version, such as the one included in the Windows release. Specifically, the CD version has quite a few more voice lines than the floppy version does. This is most noticeable in Kayla's room, where clicking on the toys on the shelf will yield multiple lines from each character in the CD version. Each of the toys only has one line in the floppy version. Another example is the screen where you can create a face on a cabbage, which has voices for all the mouths in the CD version. These lines are absent from the floppy edition. There are also several conversations that were shortened for the floppy release.
One thing I noticed is that ScummVM doesn't detect whether the selected game files are from the floppy or CD versions. Comparing with the copy of the game a friend of mine has, both versions are simply detected as the "DOS/English" version. I was wondering if there was enough of a difference between the two to warrant listing them as different versions when adding the game to ScummVM?