No voice but music on linux (openSUSE)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

crazy_achmed

No voice but music on linux (openSUSE)

Post by crazy_achmed »

Hi,
my problem is, i have no voice audio on all of the games i tested but the music works fine and in the intro videos (like in Broken Sword or Simon2 or Discworld 1) the voice works too.

How can i fix this?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Which games have you tested?
Have you set the speech volume properly?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: No voice but music on linux (openSUSE)

Post by eriktorbjorn »

crazy_achmed wrote:Hi,
my problem is, i have no voice audio on all of the games i tested but the music works fine and in the intro videos (like in Broken Sword or Simon2 or Discworld 1) the voice works too.

How can i fix this?
It depends on the game. A lot of the games that ScummVM supports don't even have voice-overs.

In the case of the Broken Sword games, the most common reason for not getting speech is probably forgetting to copy the sound files. If you have the Windows CD releases, the files are called speech.clu, with one on each CD, but they're not identical so you need to rename them speech1.clu and speech2.clu for ScummVM to know which file came from which CD. (Broken Sword 2 has the music in files called music.clu which have to be similarly renamed.) Naming them wrong would be another possible reason for partly missing speech.

I don't know what would cause speech to work in the Simon the Sorcerer 2 intro but not the rest of the game. I thought the CD versions had all speech in a file called either simon2.wav or simon2.voc depending on the exact version you have. Theoretically the file could have been truncated somehow, but it would be quite a coincidence if that preserved the speech for the intro and nothing else. There's also a floppy version, but I don't have that one myself so I don't know if it's completely without speech. (Some floppy versions of other games have speech in the intro, but not in the rest of the games.)

I don't know about Discworld 1 either. I thought all the speech in that one was in one file as well. Though again there's a floppy version that I don't have.
crazy_achmed

Post by crazy_achmed »

I tested with Simon 1 and 2, Discworld 1, Broken Sword 1
all of them are the versions with voice, i took the same source files which worked on my Windows PC and just copyed them over to my Linux Notebook.

Broken Sword has voice in its intro, the disworld 1 into has voice too (i hear the narrator when Great A'Tuin is on the screen).

Sound settings are definitely up, i have not sound problems in other games that not use midi sounds (like openTTD) or in browser videos.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

What about the sound settings in ScummVM? I.e. press Ctrl+F5, click "Options", and check the "Speech volume" setting, and the "Text and Speech" setting for the games that have it.
crazy_achmed

Post by crazy_achmed »

In ScummVM they are up, 192 in the games itself is up too.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I don't know what difference it would make in this case, but which version of ScummVM are you using?
crazy_achmed

Post by crazy_achmed »

Yast2 says i have 1.5.0-13.1
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

crazy_achmed wrote:Yast2 says i have 1.5.0-13.1
I'm running out of ideas... Did you compress the game audio files in any way (i.e. as Ogg Vorbis, MP3 or FLAC using the ScummVM-specific tools for it)? It's possible to compile ScummVM without support for compressed audio, and I've heard of some Linux distributions leaving out MP3 support because of patent and licensing worries. In that case, re-copying the files from the original media should work.

(I don't have ScummVM on this computer, but you should be able to see a list of the optional features that are enabled early in the About text scroll. I think. It's been a while since I looked.)
crazy_achmed

Post by crazy_achmed »

I will look, but the files in the Broken Sword 1 SPEECH directory are SPEECH1.CL3 and SPEECH2.CL3 are these compressend ones? Iam not sure, i have a lot of games and i think that i used some kind of scummvm converting tools on some of it but iam not sure about the broken sword 1 files.

btw: this is the list of features included in my version of scummvm:

TAINTED Vorbis FLAC ALSO SEQ TiMidity RGB zlib fluidsync Theora freetype2.

edit: in the simon1 dir i have some trackx.ogg files and a simon.mp3 , is this a problem? (i have a compress_simon.exe file in it too :) maybe i used it)
In the simon2 dir is a simon2.mp3 too.

Is there a way to enable mp3 support on for scummvm in Yast or do i have to compile it on my own?

Maybe i can just recompile it from the source i already got by Yast2? Do you know we i can find the source maybe and what i have to do to just keep the current state but with all optional features enabled?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Ah, you don't have libmad in there, and your data files are compressed to MP3, which is why the audio files won't play. Either recompile ScummVM and enable libmad, or copy the original game files without compression (or convert them to another format, like OGG)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

crazy_achmed wrote:I will look, but the files in the Broken Sword 1 SPEECH directory are SPEECH1.CL3 and SPEECH2.CL3 are these compressend ones? Iam not sure, i have a lot of games and i think that i used some kind of scummvm converting tools on some of it but iam not sure about the broken sword 1 files.
Yes, in this case "CL3" means MP3 compression. The original files would be called SPEECH1.CLU and SPEECH2.CLU.
crazy_achmed wrote: btw: this is the list of features included in my version of scummvm:

TAINTED Vorbis FLAC ALSO SEQ TiMidity RGB zlib fluidsync Theora freetype2.
Since there is no mention of "MP3", ScummVM was not built with libmad and won't play MP3-encoded sound.
crazy_achmed wrote: edit: in the simon1 dir i have some trackx.ogg files and a simon.mp3 , is this a problem? (i have a compress_simon.exe file in it too :) maybe i used it)
In the simon2 dir is a simon2.mp3 too.
That's MP3-encoded sound as well. (Well, except for the trackx.ogg files, of course.)
crazy_achmed wrote: Is there a way to enable mp3 support on for scummvm in Yast or do i have to compile it on my own?

Maybe i can just recompile it from the source i already got by Yast2? Do you know we i can find the source maybe and what i have to do to just keep the current state but with all optional features enabled?
I use Debian myself, so I have no idea about Yast. All released versions of the ScummVM source code can be found on the SourceForge project page. I don't know about building packages from it, though.
Last edited by eriktorbjorn on Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazy_achmed

Post by crazy_achmed »

Ok if i compile it by myself i just have to have these optional libraries (like libmad) installed right? I do not have to change something in the configure or makefile to enable them before compiling right?

And does anyone know if yast just downloads already compiled packages or does it download sources and then compile them?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

crazy_achmed wrote:Ok if i compile it by myself i just have to have these optional libraries (like libmad) installed right? I do not have to change something in the configure or makefile to enable them before compiling right?
If you have the development files for the appropriate libraries, ScummVM's configure script should enable them automatically. Though one of the features you listed in the openSUSE package was "TAINTED", meaning that it has enabled at least one game engine that's not enabled by default.
crazy_achmed

Post by crazy_achmed »

Ok thanks i first compiled it without installing additional libs and had the following features:
mp3, ALSA, SEQ,TiMidity,RGB, zlib, Freetype.

So some where missing, i then installed all i could find that fits with yast, i think the only things missing now is TAINTED.
You mentioned it has to to with a game engine, which one is it?

And another question, ./conigure tells my that some "features" are not found, it says "Checking for ...." the ones that have a "no" are:
openGL
libunity
sparkle
sndio
PNG
libfaad

do i need them or are they importand? Because i did not found them in yast.