Re: Sierra On-Line Games in 1.5.0

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CheeseMeister

Re: Sierra On-Line Games in 1.5.0

Post by CheeseMeister »

Hi there,

I just upgraded to the latest stable build (1.5.0) and some of the Sierra On-Line games are doing some really weird things. In Quest for Glory III the game plays with no voice effects (the digital sound effects, there's no version of the game with dialogue, I know) no matter how I set it. Prefer digital sound effects, mixed adlib MIDI mode. Nothing can get them to work.

Here's the really weird thing, I just got a Roland SC-8850 and I wanted to test it out. The instruments don't play out wrong which is what normally happens when something goes wrong with MIDI. The effects go all messed up, so the reverb, the delay the pan all go really weird so the songs sound really wrong. I was worried the module was no good (it cost a pretty penny and came a long way) so I tested the same game in dosbox and it was still there. Until I put the module back to factory settings. Then it plays normally in dosbox, but playing any Sierra game in ScummVM knocks it out of whack again and I have to reset the module.

I said ANY sierra game. I tried Freddy Pharkas after I figured out it was ScummVM and it did the same thing to the module. And in there, the DIALOGUE did not play but the voice effects did. And I had to reset the module again. After that I got bored of resetting the module. But I tested Sam n Max just to be sure. No problems. What the heck is going on? I'd swear on my grandfather's grave, something weird is going on.

Has anyone else had problems like this?
CheeseMeister

Post by CheeseMeister »

Yes I had to play MI2 really quickly to make sure I got that quote right. What of it?
Collector

Post by Collector »

No problem here. Try deleting your %AppData%\ScummVM\scummvm.ini and re-add the games.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

You have a Roland SC-8850, Collector?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Could it be this bug?

If it's this bug, it's fixed in the daily unstable versions, and it will be fixed in version 1.5.1. Until then, non-CD SCI1.1 games will have this problem if you override the game sound settings in the game options.
Collector

Post by Collector »

MusicallyInspired wrote:You have a Roland SC-8850, Collector?
No.
CheeseMeister

Post by CheeseMeister »

Collector wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:You have a Roland SC-8850, Collector?
No.
lol
I tried with windows MIDI and it doesn't play wrong but it does sound like shit (standard widnows MIDI).
md5 wrote:Could it be this bug?

If it's this bug, it's fixed in the daily unstable versions, and it will be fixed in version 1.5.1. Until then, non-CD SCI1.1 games will have this problem if you override the game sound settings in the game options.
Don't think so because the copy of Freddy Pharkas I have is the talkie CD version.
Collector wrote:No problem here. Try deleting your %AppData%\ScummVM\scummvm.ini and re-add the games.
Tried this, it got the voice effects working in QfG3 but dialogue is still not there in Freddy Pharkas. The MIDI problem persists, and still makes me need to reset the module if I want to use it for DOSBox.

So what do you guys think I should do now? I can record the MIDI playing right and playing wrong so you can hear I'm not crazy. I tested it with the windows midi and it's not happening, but dosbox isn't having a problem with the synth. So it must be some combination of scummvm and the synth module.
Collector

Post by Collector »

You are right about the MS GS Wavetable Synth, but I have a SoundFont capable card, so MIDI sounds fairly decent with a good font.

I can't say about the SC-8850 and MIDI part, but I gathered that your main problem was mostly with the digital sounds. If your PC does play WAV files, it shouldn't be that hard to get the speech in FPFP working. I assume you have the AUDIO folder from the CD with the RESOURCE.AUD and all of the *.MAP files copied to the installed folder.