Lands of Lore Bug report

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Tricky

Lands of Lore Bug report

Post by Tricky »

Hello boys and girls behind ScummVM.

I have made a full run of Lands of Lore in ScummVM version 1.4.0, and I encountered some issues.
I've been playing using a Mac (so I don't know about the other platforms), using MacOS X Snow Leopard, so I don't knouw about the other platforms. I chose Conrad as my main hero, but I think with the other three you'll get the same issues. I may play the game again soon in order to 'confirm' some of the issues, but here is what I found so far:

KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

To test, you should update to the newest version of ScummVM, by downloading one of the recent daily builds. Most, if not all, of those bugs should be fixed in the newest version.

If the bugs are still there, then you should file a bug-report.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

I shall test this one again on a later time and on a newer version, indeed.
I have one of the few FAQs on this game on GameFAQs which is scheduled for revision, so I'll take that opportunity to re-test this, I only don't know when that will be. :)

I was just trying LOL in ScummVM out for myself but as I found a lot of issues I decided to write them down, and here was the result of that :)
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Please report each issue as a separate bug. We have an FAQ entry on how to do that.

EDIT:

1) Sounds like a configuration issue. You should make sure you have the sound output set to AdLib, in case you don't have any MIDI synthesizer, and the volume adjusted correctly.

3) I don't think there should be any timing differences, at least none big noticable ones.

7) Should be fixed already: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=de ... tid=418820
Last edited by LordHoto on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

i. Which music driver are you using in ScummVM?
ii. Never encountered this one
iv. From what I've seen, the speed of the spin trap is correct (it should be as fast as possible)
v. Never encountered this one
vi. Never heard of this, are you sure about this?
vii. There is a bug report about this here (it has been fixed now):
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d ... p_id=37116
viii. The information is incorrect, this is NOT a bug. The chest is trapped, and if you fail to lockpick it, it transports you to another part of the dungeon. If you succeed in lockpicking it, you get the two items you mentioned. This is what the original did (check any decent walkthrough) and it's not a bug
ix. I don't remember what the original did here
x. I don't know about this one
xi. Never encountered this one, it seems you're clicking too quickly?
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

i. I'll try that out when I got the time. I gotta note I have the other games using the Kyra engine (Legend of Kyrandia, Hand of Fate and Malcolm's Revenge). Legend of Kyrandia and Hand of Fate both don't have this issue. Malcolm's Revenge is not yet tried.

ii. I saw this happen twice during my run in the forests around Gladstone keep. When Baccata protested because I didn't go straight to the Draracle's cave.

iv. As I said, it could be I always used too slow computers so far. And DosBox also isn't that fast ;)

v. Could be some bad luck on my side

vi. I discovered this one by discovering Valean's Cube kills all ghosts instantly (which also happens in ScummVM). As some can walk through walls, and also illusion walls i used the cube and voila the wall disappeared (I discovered this one back in the days that having a 486DX was quite a luxury). And I've been using that method ever since and so I've seen this one confirmed many times (I played this game over and over from start till finish beyond counting, I know I needed a life back then). I've seen this on a "real" DOS PC and also in DosBox before ScummVM began their support for this game.

vii. Ok. Fine then.

viii. As I noted at point vi, I played this game from start till finish way too much. Of course even then I still learn new things, but you'd think I would have discovered the "incorrectness" of my info in the 'real' game by now. Or was I born for bad luck?
(That brings me to the fact that I could open all chests in that dungeon and in castle cimmeria very easily compared to the "real" game).

ix. Well I remember (as I did play the game on DosBox a few times when LoL support was only announced and not yet implemented in a release) :)
What should happen is instant fighting level up on all characters when you chose to kill all Knowles (the Xeob leader should do that)
And instant magic level up on all characters if you chose to kill all Xeobs (the Knowle leader should do that).

x. Well I found out when trying to lure an enemy into a fireball trap, but this one easily escapes the eye as that's a very uncommon way of fighting :)

xi. I keep that possibility in mind, that's why I said I wanted another run to test that again ;)
athrxx
ScummVM Developer

Post by athrxx »

VI, IX and X were indeed valid bug reports. I have fixed these issues.