Changing the music quality of Mac Monkey Island 1?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

eisnerguy1
Got a warning

Changing the music quality of Mac Monkey Island 1?

Post by eisnerguy1 »

So, I decided to play Monkey Island in Mac OS 9, in SheepShaver, and there were options to change the music quality

I was wondering why when I use the Mac version's files in ScummVM, the music sounds completely different. When I try choosing a different sound driver, via the command line options, nothing changes. Thanks! :)
Last edited by eisnerguy1 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I don't have that version myself, but I'm under the impression that ScummVM does not emulate the built-in Macintosh synth. Instead, at least for some games, it seems to convert the audio data to General MIDI, approximating the instruments of the original as well as it can.

But someone else will have to confirm or deny that this is the case here.
eisnerguy1
Got a warning

Post by eisnerguy1 »

Ah, makes sense then. Thanks for clearing that up. Would it be hard to implement that into ScummVM? It'd be kinda cool to have the music how I remember it. Sucks that Monkey Island won't play properly in SheepShaver or, I'd just play it in that. Anyhoo, thanks again :)
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

eisnerguy1 wrote:Would it be hard to implement that into ScummVM? It'd be kinda cool to have the music how I remember it.
It takes someone with knowledge and motivation to do. Whether or not it's hard is pretty irrelevant if no one wants to look at it.

The main binary contains some snd resources that contain the instrument samples.

We also have Loom Mac which doesn't even mapping to GM right now. Other games like Monkey Island 2 and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis are also using some sort of GM mapping instead of using their proper samples. We'd love to have support for them too :wink:
eisnerguy1
Got a warning

Post by eisnerguy1 »

clone2727 wrote:
eisnerguy1 wrote:Would it be hard to implement that into ScummVM? It'd be kinda cool to have the music how I remember it.
It takes someone with knowledge and motivation to do. Whether or not it's hard is pretty irrelevant if no one wants to look at it.

The main binary contains some snd resources that contain the instrument samples.

We also have Loom Mac which doesn't even mapping to GM right now. Other games like Monkey Island 2 and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis are also using some sort of GM mapping instead of using their proper samples. We'd love to have support for them too :wink:
Ah, I wish I could help out implementing this but, my coding skills are pretty much zero :( It'd be cool if someone else wanted to though :D
eisnerguy1
Got a warning

Post by eisnerguy1 »

I'd seriously donate money right now if support could be added :P
Jorpho

Post by Jorpho »

clone2727 wrote:The main binary contains some snd resources that contain the instrument samples.
Well, in that case it might indeed not particularly difficult. Someone over here managed to successfully extract the samples from SimCity 2000 for the Macintosh and make a soundfont:
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=22804