Bug with ScummVM when selecting MIDI devices.

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

wocko1

Bug with ScummVM when selecting MIDI devices.

Post by wocko1 »

G'day all
I seem to have a problem with the latest ScummVM. I have an MT-32, CM-32L, SC-55mkII and a Korg NS5R all wired up via USB to MIDI cables, and no matter what "USB MIDI cable" device I select, it always goes to the SC-55, even when I want the CM-32L or MT-32. Is there a workaround or solution to this? All the USB to MIDI cables are the same sort, and this is the Windows version of ScummVM. I could get around this in DosBox, by selecting the MIDI device by ID number, but not with ScummVM.
athrxx
ScummVM Developer

Post by athrxx »

As far as I remember we don't really deal with devices which have the exact same name.

Using the IDs (like DosBox) for identifying devices is usually not such a good idea, since they may easily change (just remove one of you USB cables and you'll most likely have most or all of your DosBox IDs wrong).

It would make sense to add the ID to the device name if the name is not unique, though. We might add such a fix to ScummVM.

At the moment there is no way for you to select between your 4 USB cables. You'll just have to remove the 3 cables which you aren't going to use until we get this fixed.
wocko1

Post by wocko1 »

Honestly removing all but one USB cables is quite a clunky way of doing it, and it's quite annoying when you use different modules for different games, like the CM-32L for Fate of Atlantis, MT-32 for Space Quest III, SC-55 for Sam & Max, and the Korg NS5R module with the DB60XG daughter card for Descent 1 (Descent is ran via Dosbox).

I have found a band-aid solution using MIDIYoke and MIDI-OX, but even that's quite annoying to set up, plus SysEx patches are also hit and miss. Micro$oft ballsed up their device naming system, that ScummVM *assumes* that the device is the first one on the list.
athrxx
ScummVM Developer

Post by athrxx »

I have attempted to fix the issue you mentioned.
Please test with the latest build (http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/scummvm-win32.exe or http://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html). It can take a while until the changes get picked up, though.