My disc drive doesn't work. Any way around this?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Lali

My disc drive doesn't work. Any way around this?

Post by Lali »

Okay, so I've been trying to play Day of the Tentacle on Vista for about... er... three years now. My laptop is starting to fail, primarily in the way of the disc drive completely borking and refusing to acknowledge the existence of anything I put in it. So I've finally found this to make DotT run, and my laptop now won't recognise either of the two CD ROM copies I own.

Is there any way around this at all? Downloadable version or something? I'm shockingly computer illiterate, so I have no idea what warez software is (is that what I'm asking for, because I saw in the rules that's not allowed but I'm not sure if this is that...) and please, for the love of little kittens, don't get too technical at me...

Graxer

Post by Graxer »

If, on a different computer, you follow the instructions here:

viewtopic.php?t=8012

But instead copy the game files to a USB pen drive, you will be able to run the game from the pen drive on your laptop. Even better, you could copy the game from the pen drive to your laptop and run it from there!

Generally it isn't recommended that you run ScummVM games from CDs anyway, as it can lead to problems.

As for warez software, it is illegal and discussion of it is banned under forum rule #0 as you noticed. All ScummVM games which you can legally download are on the ScummVM downloads page. Although Day of the Tentacle isn't one of them, they may be worth checking out if you are interested!

I hope I have managed to help! :D

Lali

Post by Lali »

That. Is genius. Thank you. I'm sure I can borrow a friend's laptop long enough to do that, at some point. (:

And I did go and download one of the freeware ones to make sure everything worked okay with the program. (: It's very pretty and a lot of fun. ^_^

Thank you!

Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Lali wrote:That. Is genius. Thank you. I'm sure I can borrow a friend's laptop long enough to do that, at some point. (:

And I did go and download one of the freeware ones to make sure everything worked okay with the program. (: It's very pretty and a lot of fun. ^_^

Thank you!
No problem, I'm glad I could help! :D