Can't get past password in Leisure Suit Larry 5

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CaptainJei

Can't get past password in Leisure Suit Larry 5

Post by CaptainJei »

Okay, I bought a copy of the Sierra Originals CD-ROM version of Leisure Suit Larry 5. I copied all the files from the LSL5 folder to their own folder on my hard driver. No problems adding and starting the game, but I can't get past the introduction without being asked to enter a password. Is there a way to bypass this?
Collector

Post by Collector »

Make sure that the game is not installed where the write permissions are limited. It is trying to write a DRV file.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Thanks for the suggestion. The folder WAS attributed as 'read-only' (I'm using Windows 7), perhaps because it was copied off the CD. So, I changed it to not be 'read-only', but I'm still getting the password problem. I tried clicking 'Change', but nothing seemed to happen. It doesn't look like any new files are being written either.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Okay, I think I have it figured out.

So... on the LSL5 CD there is no 'memory.drv' file, which is where the password would be stored if one were set.

When you run LSL5 for the first time (outside of ScummVM), it will ask you if you want to set a password, to which you can say, 'Why bother?' or set a password. At this point, whether you choose to set a password or not, 'memory.drv' is created.

When running LSL5 for the first time in ScummVM, if there is no memory.drv file, you will be prompted to enter a password, in spite of not having been able to set one in the first place.

To solve this, I ran LSL5 in DoxBOX, chose 'Why bother?', and quit. memory.drv was created with a null password, I suppose. Then I ran LSL5 in ScummVM, and this time it asked me if I wanted to set a password or not. I chose 'Why bother?' and was able to play the game normally.

This seems like a bug to me. I'll file a report.
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

I just tested your theory. I deleted memory.drv and ran LSL5 through ScummVM. It still asked me if I wanted to setup a password and I chose "Why Bother". The game ran just fine
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Which makes me wonder. CaptainJei, are you able to make saves? Most probably not, since your save directory either is not set or not writeable. That's the reason why ScummVM cannot save the .drv file. Nevertheless, the bug is valid in any case since such situation has to be detected and properly reported to the user.

Eugene
Collector

Post by Collector »

envisaged0ne wrote:I just tested your theory. I deleted memory.drv and ran LSL5 through ScummVM. It still asked me if I wanted to setup a password and I chose "Why Bother". The game ran just fine
The problem is the first time the game is run, if there is no memory.drv and the folder has limited write access the game will do this. The simple fix is to not install the game in the %ProgramFiles% folder. It is usually not a problem on XP, but on Vista/Win7 with UAC on, writing DRV files will not be directed to the Virtual Store.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

ScummVM does not write files beyond savegame directory. So making original game files and directory will not help anyway.

Eugene
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The real solution here is to point ScummVM to a save folder that is writeable (without UAC kicking in), e.g. c:\saves or something like that. Set the path through ScummVM's options GUI. Either that, or allow it to run as administrator (which is not really worth it).
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

I was able to make saves just fine, actually, before I even reported the password problem. The game lets you save as early as the Sierra menu screen; however, if you try to restore, you'll be taken to the password screen (which now works fine).

I stored the game files in a folder on my desktop where I store all of my ScummVM-run games, not in the Program Files folder, so I really don't think there were any write limitations. I don't know how to check of UAC, but all of the other games in the folder hierarchy load and save correctly.

Thanks for the help. I filed a bug report.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Okay, I'm going to try to replicate the problem for the sake of the bug report. I current have my save path set to 'Default'. Where exactly would that be on a normal Windows 7 install?
Collector

Post by Collector »

md5 wrote:The real solution here is to point ScummVM to a save folder that is writeable (without UAC kicking in), e.g. c:\saves or something like that. Set the path through ScummVM's options GUI. Either that, or allow it to run as administrator (which is not really worth it).
Wouldn't it make sense to locate that folder in the user's folder, i.e. in the AppData\Roaming\ScummVM folder?