lip-sync data in SCI resource.aud

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CaptainJei

lip-sync data in SCI resource.aud

Post by CaptainJei »

I was compressing the resource.aud file for the CD version of King's Quest VI with ScummVM Tools using FLAC compression, and I noticed the message "Warning: possibly raw lipsync data found at offset 4ccf81c" and several others like it. Does this mean that the lip-sync data is lost during compression? Or is it retained?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: lip-sync data in SCI resource.aud

Post by LordHoto »

CaptainJei wrote:I was compressing the resource.aud file for the CD version of King's Quest VI with ScummVM Tools using FLAC compression, and I noticed the message "Warning: possibly raw lipsync data found at offset 4ccf81c" and several others like it. Does this mean that the lip-sync data is lost during compression? Or is it retained?
I think KQ 6 contains some special lipsync data. But you might just want to try the uncompressed file and see whether the warning also appears.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Oh, I meant that ScummVM Tools displayed the warning during the compression process. I tried playing KQ6 with the compressed resource.aud, and so far the lip-sync seems to be fine...
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

CaptainJei wrote:Oh, I meant that ScummVM Tools displayed the warning during the compression process. I tried playing KQ6 with the compressed resource.aud, and so far the lip-sync seems to be fine...
The tools show this message to inform the user. The (raw) lip-sync data is copied over to the compressed file.

Although currently the lip-sync data from that file isn't actually used. The warnings are about raw lipsync data, which got used by the Windows version of Sierra SCI (King's Quest 6 only). We currently don't use that data, even if hi-res portraits are shown, because the format of that data isn't properly reverse engineered. Regular sync-resource lip-sync data is missing for a few portrait animations, but raw lip-sync data is available for those scenes. DOS Sierra SCI did use the regular sync-resources as well (as we do), so animations are not shown in those cases.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I like knowing how this stuff works.