scummVM 1.4.0+ and svn daily builds on it have audio issues

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

clone2727 wrote:
LordHoto wrote:A plain SoundBlaster would rather be OPL2 though. At any rate I think the only engine supporting stereo OPL sound right now is SCI anyway (It should implement an Dual OPL2 driver). And that should be used by default IIRC, not 100% sure if you have to explicitly set the OPL emulator to the DOSBox one though.

Also I think defaulting to digital sound effects for SCI makes sense. I just do not think that justifies to make an older/different config option, which is just hijacked by SCI for this purpose, enabled by default.
Agreed, there should be a new separate option which defaults to using the digital effects.
This might in fact also be useful for Kyra, since we currently always enable the digital sound effects in HoF and LoL and there is no way to disable that and only use AdLib or MIDI sound effects.
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Post by fuzzie »

There seems to be (just) enough space in the MIDI tab for another checkbox even at small resolutions, as a simple solution.
monster99f150
Got a warning

Post by monster99f150 »

I actually have scummVM 1.2.0 or 1.2.1 on my ipod touch. It has that mixed/mode adlib switch but its not checked by default, and by default all the digital effects play fine without overwriting anything.

I also have scummVM on my PSP and my PS3 and everything works fine because i haven't upgraded yet to 1.4.0. We shouldn't even be talking about crappy sound cards like adlib. Because for one, speech (talkie) is not supported by that card, and the games that are greatly affected are sound blaster pro/16/compatible games that use speech, and was made to go along with the digital samples/PCM whatever you wanna call them.

The games were not designed to sound the other way whatsoever. There are no SCI talkie games for inferior systems like amiga. This is what matters. We are not talking about floppy games. So far the only floppy game i've found for this to affect was the VGA remake of Space Quest 1.

It doesn't affect the other floppy games, and actually even the floppy version of space quest 4 has better effects in it than the CD version while using 1.4.0 hearing only the fm effects being played instead by default. With that said, I bet sq4 sounds better on the amiga than the CD (talkie) version of sq4 while being raped by 1.4.0.'s default setting.
monster99f150
Got a warning

Post by monster99f150 »

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
fuzzie wrote: Well, I don't know, as I said - "I imagine", although having looked, the default for that option probably dates back to 2003 or so. And you're both arguing while everyone else is still asleep, but I guess someone who knows might be around later. :-)
In Europe at the moment, so it's early in the morning...

Well in the early 90s basically any soundcard you purchased was Sound Blaster compatible in one form or another. Most certainly if you had a CD-ROM drive to play the CD versions with speech enabled.

Technically I don't think it's possible on a real machine to hear digital speech but no digital sound effects. Certainly not through the INSTALL.EXE that came with the games :)
monster99f150 wrote:
I grew up playing Loom, Indiana jones, day of the tentacle, and all the Sierra games and much more. I know and still remember how they all played back then on the real thing, and dosbox does it perfect. When something isn't right, it itches in my brain that something is wrong.
Same. While emulation is great, there will always be things that don't look / play / sound right. Same goes for DOSBox as well, though you need to look a lot closer / deeper.

That's why I got a real 486 and Pentium with all the sound options imaginable :)

Though ScummVM is an interpreter, not an emulator, so things have to be different for that reason. And I'm fine with that. I think in this case it's just one of these things that slip through...

For example you can play "The Last Crusade" in Tandy mode. Now the DOS version doesn't have an option for Tandy. Just PC speaker, Adlib and CMS.

Interestingly enough, in Tandy mode the game sounds just like the Atari ST version of ScummVM. For the developers there is likely an easy explanation, but from the users point of view these little nugget of oddities are fascinating to discover :)
The problem doesn't affect lucasart games. There are no digital samples in Indiana Jones the last Crusade anyway, and I have tested games like Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max, Full Throttle, etc...No problems with those at all.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

monster99f150 wrote:I actually have scummVM 1.2.0 or 1.2.1 on my ipod touch. It has that mixed/mode adlib switch but its not checked by default, and by default all the digital effects play fine without overwriting anything.
As you might have noticed fuzzie already quoted the entry in the NEWS item which announced this behavior change. So not sure what the point here is, apart from the new default behavior is bad, which we already discussed earlier.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

I hate to confuse matters worse, but I'm no longer getting digital sounds on any SCI games, whether I have 'Mixed MIDI/Ad Lib Mode' checked or not. They all worked before. Any suggestions, please?

(I'm using the Windows version of ScummVM, a daily snapshot from two days ago).
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

CaptainJei wrote:They all worked before.
Before what? What is the last version they were working in?

Please provide the following:
What kind of windows you're using.
What hardware you're using for midi output. (e.g. Audigy 2)
What are the settings are in scummvm related to audio.
What happens when you delete scummvm.ini

caveat: whenever anyone on the internet says "delete this file" use your judgement and take it as "move it into a completely different directory"
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Let me get back to you on this. I think I've managed to confuse myself in a few ways. I'm going to retest all of my SCI games and make sure it wasn't user error.