Problem with Win32 build

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Dark-Star

Problem with Win32 build

Post by Dark-Star »

OK, I'm pretty stumped on this one, so maybe anyone else can give me a hint.

I've been building and running ScummVM on Win32/MSVC successfully for quite some time now, but now I've got a problem. I've got a company laptop on which I'd like to put ScummVM. But no matter which EXE I copy there (either my own CVS build or the official Win32 port), the main window doesn't redraw at all. I.e. I get the console window and the frame for the main window (including title bar etc.) but the client area is just "see-through", like it's not receiving any draw calls.

I have the proper DLLs installed (SDL.DLL and MSVCR71.dll for my own build).
DirectX is installed too (9.0c)

Anyone encountered this problem before and knows how to fix it?

--Darkstar
clem

Post by clem »

I've heard some complaints that ScummVM hangs when starting over time, but afaik there's no general solution for that. Sorry!

clem
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

OK, I'll get MSVC.NET installed on this thing next week anyway, then I'll look into the problem some more.
Thanks anyway.

--Darkstar
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

This would not be a ScummVM issue but either a background program interfering or buggy video card drivers. Windows Blinds was reported as causing problems with ScummVM in the past, there could be similar issues with other problems.

Some suggestions:
Try using msconfig to disable all background programs, to see if it helps.
Try updating the video card drivers on the system, to see if it helps.
Try setting SDL video driver to windb, to check for buggy video drivers. Start ScummVM via Command Prompt/MS-DOS Prompt and set the SDL video driver before starting ScummVM, ie:
set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windb
scummvm monkey
HailandKill

Post by HailandKill »

I'm running a laptop and get the same problem. http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=553

You managed to actually describe it, while I didn't... anyway.

What I notice, is that that we are both trying to run it on a laptop. So perhaps it is an issue with the itegrated graphics.
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

Try updating to the newest graphics drivers from the Dell website, this fixed it for me.
Alternatively, try the

set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib

workaround (there's a typo in Kirben's post, it's windib not windb)

--Darkstar
Divine

Post by Divine »

I can confirm that this seems definitely to be a laptop-related problem. Kirben's and Dark-Star's workaround seems to work here too. Gonna try updating the drivers too. Thanks to the posters in this thread (and the search-button :) )!