Monkey Island 1 sound problems

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

pantsowrth

Monkey Island 1 sound problems

Post by pantsowrth »

I have a mac with OS X and i'm trying to play monkey island 1 (which is from a PC CD that contains both 1 and 2).

Game play seems okay, but there is no sound.

Anyone know of anyway to fix this?

Thanks
Pantsworth
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Its best to copy the game files off the cd onto you hard-drive, you also will need to rip the cd audio off the disc to ogg or mp3 format, ScummVM has some audio compression tools in the tools package , or you can use iTunes or a similar prog.(if you use iTunes make sure to set your export setting to mp3 not mp4, which seems to be the default, i learned that the hard way) to rip the mp3's. then its just a matter of re-naming the files to track1.mp3, track2.mp3, etc. and placing the files in the same folder you have monkey island 1 in. For further info on the scummvm audio compression tools see the scummvm readme and the tools readme

hope this helps
pantsowrth

Post by pantsowrth »

IT WORKED! thanks!
Sedryn

Post by Sedryn »

FLAC format is actually a much better choice than OGG vorbis or MP3 as those two formats are both lossy compression schemes.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

If you have plenty of disc space then maybe. Everything I've read about lossless compression points to the fact that it's crap and you might as well use standard MP3, AAC or OGG.
Lechuck

Post by Lechuck »

Jimbob wrote:If you have plenty of disc space then maybe. Everything I've read about lossless compression points to the fact that it's crap and you might as well use standard MP3, AAC or OGG.
Exactly, I'm a audio engineer and it doesn't matter to compress these tracks. You won't hear the diffrence, it's only vital to use lossless formats when mastering CDs and encoding multichannel audio, but for Monkey Island?
Don't think so :P

But I do recommend OGG over MP3, OGG has overall better quality than MP3 plus it's free.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Yes, I agree. I compressed all of my games using OGG instead of MP3.