COMI cd swapping problems

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Ivens

COMI cd swapping problems

Post by Ivens »

I've got to Part III abolsutely fine, but now that the cut scene has started where Guybrush realises a ship is following them, it it constantly asking me to swap CDs.

i.e.
Disc 2 cannot be found please insert it
<I put it in>
Disc 1 cannot be found please insert it
<I put it in>
Disc 2 cannot be found please insert it
<I put it in>
Disc 1 cannot be found please insert it
<I put it in>
etc etc.

It asks me to insert a new disc about every 2 seconds! I tried closing ScummVM and then loading it back up but I still have the same problem!

Any help would be appreciated as I was really get into it :D
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: COMI cd swapping problems

Post by eriktorbjorn »

ScummVM does not deal very gracefully with games spanning multiple CDs. The recommended solution is to copy all the necessary data files to the hard disk and play the game from there, as described in the ScummVM documentation.
Ivens

Post by Ivens »

Forgive me, but I'm not entirely sure how ... do you mean copy the entire contents of Disc 2 onto the C drive or something?
I don't get you.

[edit] I've found the appropriate part in the documentation and I've located the files, but I don't see what I am meant to do with them?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Ivens wrote:Forgive me, but I'm not entirely sure how ... do you mean copy the entire contents of Disc 2 onto the C drive or something?
I don't get you.

[edit] I've found the appropriate part in the documentation and I've loacted the files, but I don't see what I am meant to do with them?
ScummVM tends to assume that all the necessary files can always be found. As you noticed, there is some provisions for handling CD swapping, but it's never been a priority to get it to work correctly.

However, if you have all the necessary files in a folder on your hard disk, you should be able to simply point ScummVM to that folder, and ask it to add the game inside. I'm not sure if this is the step you're having problems with. The most common misunderstandings tend to be failing to realize that a) the browser only shows folders, and b) you can open a folder by double-clicking on it.

So for instance, if you are running Windows the browser may start by showing you a list that only contains C and D, where C is the hard disk and D is the CD-ROM. Double-clicking on C shows a list of the folders on the hard disk, and so on.

Perhaps this tutorial (for which I take no credit) makes things a bit more clear, even if it's about a different game?
crazyfish

Post by crazyfish »

To get COMI working you'll need at the very least 1014MB of disk space.

1.) Make a folder
2.) From Disc 1, copy the files COMI.LA0, COMI.LA1 and the entire RESOURCE folder into the folder you made.
3.) From Disc 2, copy the file COMI.LA2 and the entire RESOURCE folder into the folder you made (don't worry about files being overwritten, they're identical)

The folder should be 1013MB (0.98GB) in size. It will run all the way through, and you won't need the game discs to play.
clem

Post by clem »

nope, I doubt that tutorial (for which I do take credit :-) ) will work in this case, since Ivens already got the game running in ScummVM.

copying the game to HD essentially works this way: you create a folder on your harddisk, copy whole CD1 over, then copy whole CD2 into the same folder, overwriting or skipping any files which might exist on both CDs - they should be identical.

for the list of needed files, see http://scummvm.org/documentation.php?view=datafiles

then add the game into ScummVM again

hope that helps,
clem
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

clem wrote:nope, I doubt that tutorial (for which I do take credit :-) ) will work in this case, since Ivens already got the game running in ScummVM.
Since he appeared to be running the game directly from the CD, I thought maybe he hadn't realized that he could double-click on directories to open them when adding a game.