Curse of Monkey Island audio lag

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

supmandude

Curse of Monkey Island audio lag

Post by supmandude »

The audio in Curse of Monkey Island keeps lagging. It makes it through the cutscene perfectly, but then freezes up and starts lagging when ever they talk. Is there a way to fix this?
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Maybe.

What is your platform (Windows?)?
What version of ScummVM are you using?
Does the problem occur in any other games?
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

Just tried it on the latest daily build and it played fine. Didn't notice any lag at all. Using 32 bit Windows 7
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

To both supmandude and envisaged0ne: Did either of you use compressed data files? If so, compressed with what? MP3, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis?
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

I didn't use any compressed data files
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Re: Curse of Monkey Island audio lag

Post by tsoliman »

supmandude wrote:The audio in Curse of Monkey Island keeps lagging. It makes it through the cutscene perfectly, but then freezes up and starts lagging when ever they talk. Is there a way to fix this?
Can you check the CPU usage while this happens? Does it spike or maybe go to 100% while this is happening? If you have multiple cores/CPUs make sure you monitor them separately.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

how can you tell that it's lagging? it's not like the lipsynch is dead on.
supmandude

Post by supmandude »

bobdevis wrote:Maybe.

What is your platform (Windows?)?
What version of ScummVM are you using?
Does the problem occur in any other games?
I'm using Windows XP, version 1.2.1, and this is the first game I've tried for ScummVM.
fingolfin wrote:To both supmandude and envisaged0ne: Did either of you use compressed data files? If so, compressed with what? MP3, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis?
I didn't use compressed data files. Would it work better if I did by any chance?
tbaher wrote:Can you check the CPU usage while this happens? Does it spike or maybe go to 100% while this is happening? If you have multiple cores/CPUs make sure you monitor them separately.
How do I do that?
Mataku wrote:how can you tell that it's lagging? it's not like the lipsynch is dead on.
The audio itself is kind of stopping and skiping.
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

Have you tried plaing the game on the latest daily build?

http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/#daily

Works fine for me using it anyway
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

supmandude wrote: I'm using Windows XP, version 1.2.1, and this is the first game I've tried for ScummVM.
There are freeware games you can try out on the ScummVM downloads page like Flight of the Amazon Queen.
supmandude wrote: I didn't use compressed data files. Would it work better if I did by any chance?
No, I think it could only make it worse.
supmandude wrote: How do I [check CPU usage]?
Before starting ScummVM, press ctrl-alt-del. This will start the Taskmanager. The taskmanager allows you to kill running programs or monitor your processor and ram usage.
Then run ScummVM in windowed mode so you can keep an eye on the Taskmanager while playing.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

might you be playing directly from the cd? cause that will cause such stuttering as you describe.
supmandude

Post by supmandude »

Mataku wrote:might you be playing directly from the cd? cause that will cause such stuttering as you describe.
How else can I run it?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

supmandude wrote:
Mataku wrote:might you be playing directly from the cd? cause that will cause such stuttering as you describe.
How else can I run it?
README wrote:2. Create a directory on your hard drive and copy the game datafiles from the original media to this directory. Repeat this for every game you want to play.
3. Start ScummVM, choose 'Add game', select the directory with the game datafiles (do not try to select the datafiles themselves!) and press 'Choose'.
Read the rest of the README file for more details. Also to avoid confusion I would recommend that you remove the game you already added to ScummVM (from the CD) before re-adding it (from the hard drive).

By the way the same information is also present in the FAQ (see point 3.1) and in the User Manual on the wiki. If you have other issues using ScummVM in the future you might want to check in those various places before posting on the forum. For your specific problem here you may also want to look at the point 5.16 of the FAQ ("ScummVM runs, but sound is stuttering and/or garbled!") if copying the game files to your hard drive does not solve it.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Here are step by step instructions for copying Curse of Monkey Island to you hard drive and adding it to ScummVM if that helps. http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=8012
supmandude

Post by supmandude »

Graxer wrote:Here are step by step instructions for copying Curse of Monkey Island to you hard drive and adding it to ScummVM if that helps. http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=8012
Thanks, it's running great now!