Curse of Monkey Island lacks sound at singing pirates part

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Lostio

Curse of Monkey Island lacks sound at singing pirates part

Post by Lostio »

Hi, folks.

I come to you again in search of help and a way to solve my problem.

You see, I am running Curse of Monkey Island in Windows XP, through ScummVM. I thought ScummVM would be the solution to all my problems on running Monkey Island in Windows XP.

I was wrong. Dead wrong. Not so dead wrong, since they actually started, but I was wrong on thinking it would solve ALL of its problems.

It's kind of annoying, though, to reach the part where the crew is singing, which is -- side note -- one of my favorite songs of all the Monkey Island games, and hear no sound whatsoever.

I guess I could simply go through that part and click the dialog, reading the subtitles, and just play the game from the end of the song. But I choose not to. Actually, I do not so choose. The game forces me, because, as you see, problems don't come alone. They're like girls, you know. They never come alone. They come with companion.

Besides the fact of there being no sound, which isn't quite as stated, since there is a sound - a weird pumping sound that is not in any way the crew singing, and which continues throughout the singing scene, there are two other problems: There are no subtitles, even though that option is correctly choosen in the options of ScummVM and they have worked perfectly throughout the rest of the game, and the dialog options do not, I repeat, DO NOT appear after I choose the beginning dialog option (which was something like "Come on, men! We've got to recover that map!"). I choose that dialog option, and no subtitles appear, I can't hear the characters, and the dialog options don't come back.

It's a nightmare, I know, and if you could help me get through it, I would be eternally grateful. I would kiss your feet and be your slave.*

*Not gonna happen

So, any lucky man willing to step up and help a brother out?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Curse of Monkey Island lacks sound at singing pirates pa

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I've never played The Curse of Monkey Island this far in ScummVM myself but, assuming there isn't some previously unknown bug, one possible reason could be if the file musdisk2.bun is damaged or missing. Both musdisk2.bun and voxdisk2.bun (which contains the voice-overs) should be on the second CD.

I think.
Lostio

Post by Lostio »

Well, I've checked and those files are definitely NOT missing.

I copied them from the 2nd CD again, but it ain't working yet.

Perhaps the files are damaged. Know a way of getting new ones, which are OK?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Lostio wrote:Well, I've checked and those files are definitely NOT missing.

I copied them from the 2nd CD again, but it ain't working yet.

Perhaps the files are damaged. Know a way of getting new ones, which are OK?
In that case, I suggest you file a bug report in the ScummVM bug tracker. It really is much better suited for bug reports than this forum is.
Lostio

Post by Lostio »

Well, there is now a slight improvement on this problem.

I downloaded version 0.8.2 of ScummVM and now, although the sound still does not appear, I can get through the singing crew part. The dialog options appear and so do the subtitles, so I still manage to get through it all without hearing anyhting. It's kind of shit, I know, but it's the only way.

THEN, after that part, a new error comes up. Yes, I get through them singing, then I actually manage to hear Haggis saying "Cap'n?" and Guybrush saying "Yes, Mr. McMutton?" and afterwards this error message appears:

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

From the screenshot it looks like you're using compressed sound files, have you tried without compressing them? Maybe compressing them is corrupting them or something.
Lostio

Post by Lostio »

Do you by 'compressing' mean having them in a .zip, .rar or .ace file?

Because they're not.

They are in the folder I specified in ScummVM, not in any kind of zipped or compressed file...

And still it isn't working.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Lostio wrote:They are in the folder I specified in ScummVM, not in any kind of zipped or compressed file...

And still it isn't working.
Please, recopy the files from your original CD and test again.

Eugene
Lostio

Post by Lostio »

Tried it. Didn't work.

Sorry, I know I may be annoying a bit, but this problem ain't annoying me any less than you...
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

What are file sizes of your .BUN files?

Eugene
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Lostio wrote:Do you by 'compressing' mean having them in a .zip, .rar or .ace file?
No I didn't. There's a utility to compress the BUN files for COMI to save further space. The debug console in the screenshot displays 'Error: BundleMgr::loadCompTable() Compressed sound 0 invalid (o3)', that's why I suggested using the original non-compressed files.
Lostio

Post by Lostio »

Well, I have the original files copied from the CD, so, unless the files came compressed with the CD, I don't think that's it.

And, to sev, here are the sizes of each of the .bun files eriktorbjorn specified:

MUSDISK2.BUN - 9.86 MB
VOXDISK2.BUN - 180 MB
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Lostio wrote: MUSDISK2.BUN - 9.86 MB
VOXDISK2.BUN - 180 MB
musicdisk.bun is too short for you. Either your CD is not really original, but some kind of recordable medi, or it got corrupted. Original file size is even bigger than voxdisk2.bun

Eugene
Lostio

Post by Lostio »

So, that's it... My musdisk2.bun is corrupted or damaged...

Well, know a way of me getting a new and fixed file of musdisk2.bun?

Because I've checked the CD and the file really is originally 9.86 MB, so the CD itself got damaged and got this file damaged...

I need to get a new file now. How may I do that?
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I haven't got a clue, the only possible way I can think of is to try to get a replacement for the CD. Do you have another computer you could try the CD in?