New Version of Broken Sword 2 won't boot in Scumm

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

doc labyrinth

New Version of Broken Sword 2 won't boot in Scumm

Post by doc labyrinth »

Hi, first of all, long time no see...

Anyway, so I recently purchased and downloaded (legally) the version of Broken Sword 2 for both windows and mac. I couldn't open the windows version because it is a .exe file and I can't get past that step. The Mac version, however, downloads to the game icon which is meant to be put in the applications folder. HOWEVER, I downloaded it on a new machine (which I generally don't have access to) and copied it over to my older Mac G4 with OS 10.4.11. I have the latest version of ScummVM, but when I try to open this file with ScummVM, it says there are no game files to be found (that same ol' error message). I just kind of assumed as long as I purchased the game, no matter what format it was in, I'd be able to open it with ScummVM on my G4 (I've done this before with PC games such as Monkey Island 3, which only came out on PC). I've got the latest version of ScummVM, and there is no file directory with the game, just the game icon that launches right into the game when opened on the new intel mac it was designed for. But a Scumm game is a Scumm game, and it should work in ScummVM no matter what, right? Please help! I'm dying to play this game!

A million thanks in advance!
raina

Post by raina »

Sounds like the game icon you're supposed to place in Applications folder is in fact an OS X .app bundle. You should be able to right-click it and select "Show Contents" to see what's inside.

I'm thinking this distribution of the game already uses a version of ScummVM so don't be surprised if you see related files but of course what you're looking for are the game files (listed here: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Dataf ... ing_Mirror ). Hopefully you can find them and copy them to another folder of your choice. Then you should be able to point your ScummVM installation to it.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

If I am not mistaken, the new versions of Broken Sword 1 and Broken Sword 2 use different engines from the original games (if by new you mean the Director's Cut). That means that they cannot be played with ScummVM (until a developer adds support for them if that ever happens).
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

criezy wrote:If I am not mistaken, the new versions of Broken Sword 1 and Broken Sword 2 use different engines from the original games (if by new you mean the Director's Cut).
I thought the director's cut of Broken Sword 2 hadn't been released for the PC/Mac yet. I could very well be wrong about that though.
doc labyrinth

Post by doc labyrinth »

Thanks, got it. After posting this I remembered to try the "show contents" option and got it to work. That was a good game, are the following Broken Sword games playable on ScummVM? I know one of them was 3d but if I'm not mistaken the following one went back to point and click?
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

doc labyrinth wrote:Thanks, got it. After posting this I remembered to try the "show contents" option and got it to work. That was a good game, are the following Broken Sword games playable on ScummVM? I know one of them was 3d but if I'm not mistaken the following one went back to point and click?
Broken Sword 3 and 4 are both 3D and so outside the scope of ScummVM. That doesn't mean they wont be supported by Residual in the future though!

http://residual.sourceforge.net/