switching savegames between Nintendo Wii and Android ports

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

apa-sf

switching savegames between Nintendo Wii and Android ports

Post by apa-sf »

Hi,

is it possible to switch savegames between Nintendo Wii and Android scummvm ports? I would love to play at home with some nicer graphics filter on a big screen and continue gaming at Android phones during some longer trips.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

While I don't have any experience of this particular case, in general savegames should be platform-independent. However, on some platforms (but not all, or so I'm told) ScummVM will compress the savegames, All versions should understand uncompressed savegames, though. If the Android or Wii doesn't understand compressed savegames, you may have to decompress them yourself.

As far as I know, you can't tell the difference between compressed and uncompressed savegames by their file names. (If you're on a Linux system or similar, you can use the file command on them. At least in my case, compressed savegames are identified as "gzip compressed data, from Unix".)

The easiest way to decompress one is probably to rename it, adding ".gz" to its name, and run it through a standard decompression program. On Linux, gunzip should work fine, and I'm told WinZip works in Windows. I don't know about other systems or programs, but it should be a pretty widely understood format so there are probably plenty that will work.

In theory. I don't have any way of testing your particular scenario myself.
apa-sf

Post by apa-sf »

Thanks. I have checked with moving a savegame from Android port to Wii port - savegame is working :-) I am leaving the info if someone else will be searching for that in the future.

P.S.
Some possibility to configure e.g. an FTP account to share savegames between different ports would be neat!