Jones in the fast lane no Voices

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

md5
ScummVM Developer

Re: Jones in the fast lane no Voices

Post by md5 »

PointNRepeat wrote:ok. I will buy it *again*.

Also, can I know why the voices appear on dosbox without the CD present ?
There are two sets of voices in Jones, one lower quality in its data files, and a higher quality version as CD audio.

ScummVM currently tries to play the CD audio if the "cdaudio.map" file is present
FragmentalStew

Post by FragmentalStew »

KuroShiro wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:39 am In the Jones in the Fast Lane CD version, all of the voices are contained in the CD Audio track. In order for them to play, you will have to first rip the audio track. There is information in the ScummVM readme file about how to do this. Try using the program CDex.

Once you extract the audio, rename the compressed file to "track01.xxx" (without the quotes, where xxx is .ogg, .mp3 or whatever you compressed it as).

Oh, and to properly play, you should copy all of the files from the CD to a directory on your hard disk, and then point ScummVM to that directory.
So, funny thing about this, I used the "new" installer to install the game for dosbox. http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updat ... html#Jones It uses a virtual cd to mount an ogg file as the audio track. The ogg file is called track02.ogg because track01 is the game files. But the ogg file must be renamed to track01.ogg for scummvm.

Also, if you have the iso ripped from your legally owned cd, you can mount it with Daemon Tools Lite and that also seems to work in scummvm. The cd in your drive should also. I suspect direct cd play has been added since this thread was created.
MikeDrago

Post by MikeDrago »

Howdy. Bringing up this thread because I want to play Jones :)
I have the CD version. But when playing there is no speech.

I have tried using Scummvm playing the CD for dos and CD for windows and the "dosbox installer" program mentioned in this thread. I hear the music and can play the game...but without texting and lack of speech and dont know if I get the jobs or not. With the "dosbox installer" I get unable to start audio error message.

Any ideas?
Falshire Knight

Post by Falshire Knight »

MikeDrago wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:00 am Howdy. Bringing up this thread because I want to play Jones :)
I have the CD version. But when playing there is no speech.

I have tried using Scummvm playing the CD for dos and CD for windows and the "dosbox installer" program mentioned in this thread. I hear the music and can play the game...but without texting and lack of speech and dont know if I get the jobs or not. With the "dosbox installer" I get unable to start audio error message.

Any ideas?
This is a late reply, but I've just gotten Jones working and I might have the solution.

One of the biggest complaints I have about ScummVM is that it isn't user-friendly... at all.
Lots of options with vague descriptors like "Use CD Audio", and absolutely nothing to explain what they actually do.

In this case, I saw the option for "Use CD Audio" and thought to myself, hmm... Most Sierra games of that era came in two versions, a floppy version and a CD version, and the CD version was usually the version that had digitized speech... So let me just check this box for "Use CD Audio", that should get me the speech, right?

WRONG.

I think what this checkbox is *actually* doing is telling ScummVM to look for the disc that's in your physical CD drive and pull the audio from that. So, if you have that option checked, it will *bypass* the digitized speech files in your game directory on C:\ and try to pull from a nonexistent Jones in the Fast Lane original copy.

This is an extremely unforgiving beginner's trap, but it's there.

The solution is to edit your ScummVM settings for Jones in the Fast Lane, click the Engine tab, and uncheck "Use CD Audio". After that, digitized speech should hopefully work... At least, it did for me.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Falshire Knight wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:05 pm So let me just check this box for "Use CD Audio", that should get me the speech, right?

WRONG.

I think what this checkbox is *actually* doing is telling ScummVM to look for the disc that's in your physical CD drive and pull the audio from that.
To me "CD audio" always implied audio tracks on the CD. I don't know if there's a better term for that. "CD audio tracks"? Anyway, as the manual explains, if you rip the audio tracks to files and name them the way ScummVM expects, it will use them instead of looking for the physical disc.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

It is a bit misleading imho and could/should be enhanced.
Maybe
"Use (ripped) CD audio tracks" or
"Use (ripped) CD audio files"?
It would at least imply that some user action is mandatory beforehand.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Raziel wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:31 am "Use (ripped) CD audio tracks" or
"Use (ripped) CD audio files"?
To me, that makes it sound like the audio tracks have to be ripped to work. I don't think that's the case?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Ah yes, my bad.
Maybe
"Use audio tracks directly from CD"
would suit it better then?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Maybe it's enough to make the tooltip a bit clearer. (I see little wrong with the term "CD audio" as long as that's what the manual uses.)