ScummVM 2.5 - Where Are My Filters?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

EstelRandir

ScummVM 2.5 - Where Are My Filters?

Post by EstelRandir »

When I start the new version, there is no place that I can see to choose graphics filters. Where are they or what do I need to do to get them to show up?

Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: ScummVM 2.5 - Where Are My Filters?

Post by Praetorian »

EstelRandir wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:44 pm When I start the new version, there is no place that I can see to choose graphics filters. Where are they or what do I need to do to get them to show up?

The graphic filters work only with the "SDL Surface" Graphics Mode. Please select that mode first, click ok or Apply and then you should be able to set the additional graphic filters.

"OpenGL" mode, which is the new default Graphics Mode starting this version, does not currently support those filters.
EstelRandir

Post by EstelRandir »

Ok, that does work.

But I have an issue. If I keep the default of OpenGL, I can resize the interface & it looks nice and pretty sharp. See first screenshot. But if I use SDL and resize the interface, everything is blurry and does not rescale correctly. The text looks bad. Any way to fix this using SDL?

OpenGL

SDL

Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

EstelRandir wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:31 pm Ok, that does work.

But I have an issue. If I keep the default of OpenGL, I can resize the interface & it looks nice and pretty sharp. See first screenshot. But if I use SDL and resize the interface, everything is blurry and does not rescale correctly. The text looks bad. Any way to fix this using SDL?
As far as I know the improvements of the text rendering and HiDPI display support with OpenGL was done for this exact purpose: Showing clear text and non-pixelated UI elements to the end-user.

Currently this is not possible with SDL Surface, and I don't think it can be efficiently done for that rendering mode, since rendering and scaling work differently. I'm not the expert on this though, so maybe down the line we'll get such a feature implemented, if developer(s) have the time to work on it.

You could try toggling the "Filter graphics" checkbox to see if it makes a difference for the better -- and this goes for either OpenGL or SDL Surface mode.

However, if you find a bug with the renderers (like what you've written about wrong rescaling), please feel free to submit a ticket to our bug tracker. There's certainly room for improvement in ScummVM and your feedback helps a lot!
EstelRandir

Post by EstelRandir »

Will the old filters be a part of the OpenGL in future releases? It would be a shame if they could not be. I do not know if this is a limitation of OpenGL or not. I rarely every use OpenGL even on buggy old games.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

EstelRandir wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:05 am Will the old filters be a part of the OpenGL in future releases? It would be a shame if they could not be. I do not know if this is a limitation of OpenGL or not. I rarely every use OpenGL even on buggy old games.
It's a feature request that we have in mind and we'd like to see implemented. As always a volunteer developer or a team of developers has to spend the time to do this and, as I understand it, it's also not a trivial task. So, I don't have an ETA. Any help and Pull Requests are welcome of course!
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

The most sensible way of implementing those would be with use of OpenGL shaders. Some work has already been performed but not yet completed.

Eugene
venom_INC
Got a warning

Post by venom_INC »

Hello,
have a problem with the new filters in the latest Scummvm version. I tried all filters but one is worse than the other. Either gross as the original games or extremely overshot or alienated! Even turning off the bilinear filter does not help. In the old versions, the picture was as in the old games, i believe VGA 3x! This filter has also turned to bad! Now all it is totally filtered and blurry and the games do not make fun anymore! :evil:

Is there a way to set the options so that the quality corresponds to the quality of the old games? With the previous versions of Scummvm that was possible!!! :!: :!: :!:
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

venom_INC wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:07 pm Hello,
have a problem with the new filters in the latest Scummvm version. I tried all filters but one is worse than the other. Either gross as the original games or extremely overshot or alienated! Even turning off the bilinear filter does not help. In the old versions, the picture was as in the old games, i believe VGA 3x! This filter has also turned to bad! Now all it is totally filtered and blurry and the games do not make fun anymore! :evil:

Is there a way to set the options so that the quality corresponds to the quality of the old games? With the previous versions of Scummvm that was possible!!! :!: :!: :!:
Could you provide some screenshots along with your configuration for the graphics mode and scaling for games in ScummVM 2.5.0, and please explain with more detail how you mean that the old filters are now worse?

Maybe it's some separate GPU driver issue or some externally enforced setting by a GPU software that's interfering?