Before the Dark Crystal 2 (AGS)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

almeath

Before the Dark Crystal 2 (AGS)

Post by almeath »

Has anyone tried testing the AGS game "Before the Dark Crystal 2" with a daily build?

It detects and launches with no problems, but the language appears to be stuck on the original French. When I look in the GUI based game settings, under Engine there is a language box, but it is set to "default" with no other options available in the menu.

My config settings are as follows:

[beforethedarkcrystal2]
force_text_aa=false
description=Before the Dark Crystal II
mute=false
speech_volume=255
engineid=ags
gameid=beforethedarkcrystal2
sfx_volume=192
music_volume=192
guioptions=noLang

I figure I can change the last setting to something that will trigger the English translation, but I cannot figure out what that is.

I should add that when I launch the game in Windows the English translation detects automatically, and there is a "english.tra" file that comes bundled with the game files.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Before the Dark Crystal 2 (AGS)

Post by Praetorian »

almeath wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:48 pm Has anyone tried testing the AGS game "Before the Dark Crystal 2" with a daily build?

It detects and launches with no problems, but the language appears to be stuck on the original French. When I look in the GUI based game settings, under Engine there is a language box, but it is set to "default" with no other options available in the menu.

My config settings are as follows:

[beforethedarkcrystal2]
force_text_aa=false
mute=false
speech_volume=255
engineid=ags
sfx_volume=192
music_volume=192
guioptions=noLang

I figure I can change the last setting to something that will trigger the English translation, but I cannot figure out what that is.

I should add that when I launch the game in Windows the English translation detects automatically, and there is a "english.tra" file that comes bundled with the game files.
With a local Windows build I get "Default" and "English" as Language options on the Edit Game->Engine->Language dropdown menu.
"Default" is French, and "English" works as intended, at least up to the opening menu that I tested.

Same result with today's daily for Windows "windows-x86-64-master-07ce31ec"

My config settings (default):

Code: Select all

[beforethedarkcrystal2]
force_text_aa=false
engineid=ags
guioptions=noLang
path=D:\Games\beforethedarkcrystal2\
And after selecting English as language:

Code: Select all

force_text_aa=false
engineid=ags
translation=english
guioptions=noLang
path=D:\Games\beforethedarkcrystal2\
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

The "guioptions=noLang" is irrelevant here. It tells ScummVM to not show a language selection in the Game tab. That selection would be useless and confusing as it has no impact on the language actually used (and when it was visible it used to indicate that all AGS games were in English, even when they are not).

Instead for AGS game we have a custom Game language selection in the Engine tab, as you have seen. It looks for all the .tra files in the game directory and lists those. So normally it should be listing "english" in your case. Unless it is maybe in a subdirectory? We only look for the .tra files at the top level of the game directory.

You can try to add "translation=english" in the "[beforethedarkcrystal2]" section of your config file, and that should hopefully pick it up.

Edit: Praetorian was a bit faster than me. But at least this confirms that it works as expected for him.
almeath

Post by almeath »

Thank you both. Adding translation=english to my configuration file did the trick.

The .tra file is in the same directory as all the other game files, so it is kind of strange that it is not detected for display in the GUI menu.