Aspect Ratio Correction on FM Towns Games

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ZvikaZ

Re: Aspect Ratio Correction on FM Towns Games

Post by ZvikaZ »

Play the game for few seconds, and then quit.
It should reset the configuration, and an engine tab will (hopefully...) appear, in 'edit game' for the FM Towns Loom.
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

Never mind, I got it to work!
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

/me cheers for ZvikaZ and Muyfa666 to get this effort in tree :-)
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

ZvikaZ wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:13 pm If you can run now `git checkout master`, `./configure` and `make`, it will switch to the regular ScummVM, without my changes, and recompile.
Then, if you can please verify if the issue persists.
Same skin and blue colors are there.
It's also the same when compiled from the official source and also the same from the AppImage from there: viewtopic.php?p=94874#p94874
ZvikaZ

Post by ZvikaZ »

LogicDeLuxe wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:14 am
ZvikaZ wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:13 pm If you can run now `git checkout master`, `./configure` and `make`, it will switch to the regular ScummVM, without my changes, and recompile.
It's also the same when compiled from the official source and also the same from the AppImage from there: viewtopic.php?p=94874#p94874
Sorry if I'm asking obvious questions, but I want to make sure that I understand this correctly:
1. There is some color problem, that exists in the original sources, without my changes.
2. My code doesn't affect the situation.

Are these true?

If I'm correct, that's an interesting bug, that should be solved by someone with more experience than me with Scumm engine. Please open a bug report, at https://bugs.scummvm.org/ . Or at least, open a separate thread for this, here at the forums (but I assume that you'll be kindly asked to open a bug for this)
elvisish

Post by elvisish »

ZvikaZ wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:47 pm
LogicDeLuxe wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:14 am
Sorry if I'm asking obvious questions, but I want to make sure that I understand this correctly:
1. There is some color problem, that exists in the original sources, without my changes.
2. My code doesn't affect the situation.

Are these true?

If I'm correct, that's an interesting bug, that should be solved by someone with more experience than me with Scumm engine. Please open a bug report, at https://bugs.scummvm.org/ . Or at least, open a separate thread for this, here at the forums (but I assume that you'll be kindly asked to open a bug for this)
It may not be because of this, but I was reporting the issue. It's been merged but it's not available for Loom, why?

ZvikaZ' PR has been merged. It is now implemented for all games besides
Loom.
https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/11290#comment:3

Come on, after 15 years lets not just close this without implementing it for Loom.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@elvisish

If you read through the last comments on this very thread, you'll get an idea why ZvikaZ hesitated to include support for Loom.

There are still issues which have to been ironed out for that specific game.
Since you played through it, you can probably provide feedback and do some tests for ZvikaZ and eventually Loom will be supported as well.
It's not off the list, it's just delayed.
elvisish

Post by elvisish »

Raziel wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:40 am @elvisish

If you read through the last comments on this very thread, you'll get an idea why ZvikaZ hesitated to include support for Loom.

Since you played through it, you can probably provide feedback and do some tests for ZvikaZ and eventually Loom will be supported as well.
I did read through the last comments on this very thread, I didn't encounter any issues that seemed to be exclusive to this version.

Good to know it's just delayed.
ZvikaZ

Post by ZvikaZ »

elvisish wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:03 am

I did read through the last comments on this very thread, I didn't encounter any issues that seemed to be exclusive to this version.

Raziel is right...

Please see my unanswered question - viewtopic.php?p=94845#p94845
Last edited by ZvikaZ on Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

Aspect ratio for fm-towns games still not available in nightly builds?
At least i tested so called "smooth scrolling" and i can't call it QUITE smooth, more like jerky (stuttery?) but smooth? :lol:
ZvikaZ

Post by ZvikaZ »

ZvikaZ wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:42 pm

Raziel is right...

I'm sorry, I've had a copy paste error... Fixed it.
ZvikaZ

Post by ZvikaZ »

KainXVIII wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:55 pm Aspect ratio for fm-towns games still not available in nightly builds?
At least i tested so called "smooth scrolling" and i can't call it QUITE smooth, more like jerky (stuttery?) but smooth? :lol:
Please wait until 24 hours have passed since the PR was approved. Also, you'll need to run the game for few seconds, and quit, and then you'll see the trimming option under 'engine' tab. Enabling this will allow you to correct the aspect ratio.

And regarding the smooth scrolling, or not so smooth - that's a different topic, and this thread is already long enough. Please open a new thread for this.
ZvikaZ

Post by ZvikaZ »

ZvikaZ wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:42 pm

Raziel is right...

Elvisish, the PR is ready, I'm just waiting for your answer to my question, and confirmation that Loom is ok.
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

Sorry for not getting back on this. I have not had the time to game anything at all. Life and work have gotten between. Sorry. :-(
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@Muyfa666

There is an update to Life(tm), called Retirement(tm)...it immediately wraps up and cancels all Work(tm) and costs nothing.
You can even register for free, but i heard people are already waiting way over 40 years to get their confirmation email...ah well