Develop a game FOR scummvm

AGI, SCI, Wintermute, Sludge engines fangame creation discussion

Moderators: ScummVM Team, AGI moderators

carloratm

Develop a game FOR scummvm

Post by carloratm »

Hi all,
i'm looking for an engine suitable for adventure games based.
Wonder if there are some free game engines for this purpose, i really don't mind if they aren't open source, i'm looking for an API.
My developing platform is Linux, my favourite language is C++.

Thank you
Cheers
Collector

Post by Collector »

Well, this forum is for the creation of games in AGI or SCI. If you do not wish to use either, you could ask in the "The Junkyard" forum.
shanewatson001
Spammer

Post by shanewatson001 »

Hello Guy,,,,,

I know this forum is use for Game Creation Like SCI/AGI. Game Creation (Sierra's Creative Interpreter) for personal purpose and it depends upon the animation design.
Collector

Post by Collector »

A bot?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Yes, a bot. He has spam in his signature and link.

Back on the topic, the only mature game creating tools are for AGI and SCI. There was also attempt to create SCUMM game creator, but I would not recommend to use that due to potential legal issues.

Generally I would recommend to use AGS for creation of new adventure games.

Eugene
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I wish AGS still supported creating games in DOS. I'd love to have some custom AGS games on my old 486. I also wish there were DOS tools for AGI/SCI game creation so I could do it all on my 486 and ensure compatibility with hardware, etc.
sact

Post by sact »

There were plenty of DOS tools for SCI & AGI game creation once upon time. Actually when I originally discovered AGI fangame creation scene back in the end of the 90s, I had Super-286 with Turbo-button and all, but AGI DOS-software required at least 386. I was so disappointed. But nowadays, most of the AGI/SCI-related websites have died. Here's few links though that should give miscellaneous DOS-software for AGI and even for SCI:

* agifans - Lance Ewing's original DOS-tools
* AGI Development Site - Plenty of sound-related software, from converting from midi and impulse tracker-modules to Ronnie Harpaz' AGI Sound Edit, very nice.
* If-archives' AGI-section, even has the russian, yet Sierra-AGI incompatible variant AGDS-tool compilation
* Viewedit - Peter Kelly's viewedit from 1997.

Though some of the software has been marked as DOS-software, not all can be run in DOS-mode or require to be ran under 32-bit Windows (according to DOSBox).

I reckon by combining the various DOS-software from these various locations you could attempt do AGI-game creation even on your 486, if not completely, at least partially. And if anyone else knows where to find DOS-tools for AGI/SCI, would be really nice to know.
Last edited by sact on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
lance.ewing

Post by lance.ewing »

Is there a DOS tool for creating VIEWs? I can't remember now. I think everything else might be covered though. There are DOS LOGIC compilers, a DOS picture editor, and ROL2SND can convert Adlib ROL music to AGI SOUND. You will need the Adlib Visual Composer to create ROL files though. which only works in DOS as far as I know. There was a MIDI 2 ROL conversion tool at one point, but I doubt the end result would have been very good. I did all my sounds using ROL2SND, which I wrote for the purpose.

So sact, are the Russian tools not compatible with the Sierra formats? I wasn't aware of that. Are all of the tools incompatible, or just some of them?
sact

Post by sact »

AGDS's example-game Groza (Thunderstorm) does not work with other AGI-interpreters. Though it does work in ScummVM and with it's own hacked interpreter, I like to prefer original Sierra interpreters or even NAGI as more AGI compatible choice than Groza's interpreter, or ScummVM, that has lacks even the inventory objects handling.

However, my experience with invidual AGDS tools is rather limited. Pictures, views and sound-resources seem to work in AGI Studio and WinAGI, however resources like some logics, WORDS.TOK and OBJECT tend to cause troubles. Maybe it is due to usage of Russian and it's cyrillic letters.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

AGDS user different encryption string (instead of "Avis Durgan" in AGI it uses "Alex Simkin"), and of course, Cyrillic fonts. Other than that it is a typical AGI2.440 interpreter.

Eugene
lance.ewing

Post by lance.ewing »

Thanks for the info. That does ring a bell now. I was aware of the encryption string difference once upon a time. So I guess that means that the VIEW editor with AGDS is an option for DOS users.