The Gourd of the Beans

AGI, SCI, Wintermute, Sludge engines fangame creation discussion

Moderators: ScummVM Team, AGI moderators

klownstein

The Gourd of the Beans

Post by klownstein »

I've been working on this project, The Gourd of the Beans, off and on for a number of years. I've recently recruited some helpers to speed along the work and hope that they will significantly help speed my progression. I have a new website:

https://sites.google.com/site/klownstein/

where I hope to keep some relatively up-to-date info so all those interested can be informed of the progression. For those who have been following my work, check out the site and let me know what you think.

-klownstein
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

That looks really interesting. And fun!
lance.ewing

Post by lance.ewing »

Looks really good. I've just added your site to my links page on www.agifans.com. Any chance I can convince you to switch to using the new PICEDIT for creating the picture resources?
klownstein

Post by klownstein »

lance.ewing wrote:Looks really good. I've just added your site to my links page on www.agifans.com. Any chance I can convince you to switch to using the new PICEDIT for creating the picture resources?
I've downloaded it and plan on giving it a go on my next background. :)

-klownstein
lance.ewing

Post by lance.ewing »

Thanks. Let me know of any features you would like to see added.
lance.ewing

Post by lance.ewing »

I have to apologise in advance. I'm guessing you haven't started on that next AGI picture yet, but I've found a bug that is fairly big really. It actually generates a non-standard AGI picture. If you set the visual colour to white, it is currently adding colour 16 into the picture code buffer. It will do the same thing if you set the priority colour to red.

This bug was introduced with one of the last features I added, which was the background image tracing feature. It might seem like a fairly weird bug but it is due to the way I keep track of the transparent colour. White is transparent on the visual screen and red is transparent on the priority screen.

It's a quick fix to fix this issue, so I'll update it now and release beta 2. Note that this fix will not have any of the newer features I've been working on since those are not fully tested yet. The beta 2 release will be exactly the same as beta 1 except that it will include this fix.

I'll report back when beta 2 is uploaded to my site.
lance.ewing

Post by lance.ewing »

ARGGGGHHHH!! I just found an even bigger bug. A much, much bigger bug. The set priority colour and turn off priority colour actions are adding the wrong codes to the picture code buffer. They are adding the corresponding visual colour codes instead, e.g. set priority is actually setting the visual colour (not that you notice until you load and save the picture).

Classic copy and paste error.
lance.ewing

Post by lance.ewing »

And a third bug. Not quite as bad this time but picture navigation is not the best when on the priority screen. It keeps switching to the visual screen.

I'll fix all three bugs while I'm at it. Not sure why I didn't see any of these until now.
lance.ewing

Post by lance.ewing »

I have just uploaded beta 2 to my web site. Grab that version to draw your next picture with.