SCI / AGI Links

AGI, SCI, Wintermute, Sludge engines fangame creation discussion

Moderators: ScummVM Team, AGI moderators

sact

SCI / AGI Links

Post by sact »

While the Mega-Tokyo forums content's fate remains unknown, here's a thread about useful links. Feel free to contribute.

AGI SCI
Last edited by sact on Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Here's another few valuable SCI links.

SCI Companion - Sister IDE to SCI Studio
SCI Development Wiki - Brand new! Under active construction.
SCI Studio Help File HTML-ified - Valuable SCI development documentation, special thanks to Collector and Gumby and whoever else who's so far been working on it!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

SCI resource viewer - probably the best viewer out there (imho). Its page is down, so this is the last known version uploaded
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:SCI Development Wiki - Brand new! Under active construction.
I'm not quite happy about this one. This part:
http://sierrahelp.com/SCI/Wiki/index.ph ... ifications
has been taken from the FreeSCI documentation, much like the documentation we got in the ScummVM wiki:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SCI/FreeSCI
and
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SCI/Specifications

Thus, it's a duplicate effort, with the same resources. And one of the two is likely to get outdated. Imho, all of this information should be in one place, not two, otherwise it'll get confusing
MusicallyInspired

Yes, and we figured we'd put it in one place specifically for SCI development. I'd honestly rather see it at a solely Sierra-oriented website than the ScummVM website. Plus it's constantly being updated/added to. And there's a lot more there that just the FreeSCI information.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:Yes, and we figured we'd put it in one place specifically for SCI development. I'd honestly rather see it at a solely Sierra-oriented website than the ScummVM website. Plus it's constantly being updated/added to. And there's a lot more there that just the FreeSCI information.
Yes, but the FreeSCI documentation is more oriented towards SCI engine developers, rather than SCI script/content developers, which is what that site is about, if I'm not mistaken. And ScummVM is currently the most feature complete implementation of the Sierra SCI engine, so again, I ask: why put this information in a different place than ScummVM's wiki?
MusicallyInspired

To have it consolidated into one area. And it's useful to developers as well. Gumby, for one, has been making some fantastic new observations about the inner workings of the parser by referencing the FreeSCI documentation and it's helped him tremendously to document how the parser works and should be implemented in a fan game (something that was sorely under-documented until now). He's also writing new programs to aid in easier and efficient game development by referencing the material as well. So it is quite useful to developers.

My question is why can't we have both? One for engine developers here and one for game developers there with more information about development to go along with it? If there's anything that gets outdated we can update it. Or if it bothers you so much, we can link back to ScummVM's site for the most up to date information. I just think it's a great idea that Collector had to consolidate everything in one place for game developers. ScummVM has no game development information and it'd be better if it was all in the hands of Sierra fans anyway rather than something like ScummVM which has its attention every which way (that's not a jab, it's just the way it is and that's fine).
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

md5 wrote:why put this information in a different place than ScummVM's wiki?
MusicallyInspired wrote:To have it consolidated into one area.
Isn't that a contradiction? Now there's a second documentation set, so this would be the opposite of consolidation.
MusicallyInspired

But ScummVM's wiki isn't going to have any SCI game development information, because, like md5 said, it's for engine developers. But that information is also valuable to SCI game developers and it's nice to have it all in one place along with the game development information.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

MusicallyInspired wrote:But ScummVM's wiki isn't going to have any SCI game development information, because, like md5 said, it's for engine developers. But that information is also valuable to SCI game developers and it's nice to have it all in one place along with the game development information.
No, we would support idea of putting everything on our Wiki. If you really like to have it separated, let me offer to put it to sci.scummvm.org, but still my preference would be to keep it under wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SCI/* hierarchy.

I am just afraid that yet another resource will (a) have low number of visitors, being empty (b) may disappear in the future.

Our project got a solid hosting and is really adventure game development-oriented )both for engines and game creation). Consider our SCI and AGI documentation.

Eugene
MusicallyInspired

I suppose that would depend on what level of user customization you'd be willing to allow. The way it works now, anybody can log in and add/edit information, tutorials, and such. Also it depends on what everyone else at sciprogramming.com wants to do. I didn't start it up, Collector did as a solution to the current forum-based user-made tutorials and it grew into the consolidated database of information that it is now.

Besides, the information was taken from the FreeSCI website not ScummVM's wiki. Just to clear that up.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Folks, relax. This is the internet, and things simply tend to be decentralized. If some folks want to host their own version of the old FreeSCI docs, there is nothing we can do about it, nor do I think we really should try to... it's a futile attempt.

Yes, it it has drawbacks. For example, the corrections and cleanup I applied to the parser documentation in the version in the ScummVM wiki obviously has not been applied to this alternate copy. Pity. But then, that just means people will either have to look in both places, or they will simply not see the corrected version, and then have to deal with it... not ideal, sure, but it won't stop the earth from moving.

And MI has a point there, too: the ScummVM wiki has restricted write access (partially due to fear for vandalism and spambots). Hence it is not very accessible for new contributors, so I can see why they may want to have a more open alternate wiki.