Welcome to new forums

AGI, SCI, Wintermute, Sludge engines fangame creation discussion

Moderators: ScummVM Team, AGI moderators

sev
ScummVM Lead

Welcome to new forums

Post by sev »

Hi all,

Since MEGA_TOKYO AGI & SCI forums are dead for the second time, we decided to give you a place to discus fangame creation on a more solid hosting.

Of course, all of you may know, that ScummVM recently started to support both AGI and SCI engines, and their support these days is at top notch, making ScummVM the interpreter for these games.

So, you are kindly welcome.

Consider also using our Wiki, specifically AGI engine page, AGI Specifications, SCI engine page and SCI Specifications. If you need Wiki account for editing those, say, merging in content of AGI Wiki (I got the dump), approach Fingolfin or me.

Also if you have access to old MEGA-TOKYO boards content, please contact us ASAP since we really would like to have it kept here. If you used to be a moderator there, and would like to help with the duties here, just tell.

Hope you will like the new, more permanent home.

Eugene
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

first :P

anyway, this board is a good idea
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Yay cool

Spread the word guys and gals
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I hope we can get the archived database of Mega-Tokyo. There are TONS of valuable AGI and SCI information there from years back! Good to see a new place to discuss AGI and SCI!

Also don't forget about the SCI programming community website. There are also forums there as well with people working on new projects. Speaking of which, there's a bunch of hosted SCI fangames, tutorials, and other resources.[/url]
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Not wishing to annoy anyone... should this not be in a distinct forum category with sub-forums as required?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

It's up to you guys. Just tell me where to put it.

Eugene
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@sev

If possible i'd like to have a sub forum "Games"
Therein sub forums with "AGI&SCI" or "Sierra", "LucasArts", "Humongous", "Kyrandia", "Goblins"
The rest would go in "Others" and of course new sub forums submerge as new engines are implemented (at least a new sub forum for engines that support more than three games?)

Does that sound reasonable?

Maybe help new users by a little explanation in () after the foums, lets say

Sierra (AGI & SCI)
LucasArts (incl. Humongous)
Goblins (incl. many more - see Post 1*)
Kyrandia (incl. Lands of Lore)

* Post 1 holds a link to the supported games in wiki
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Raziel wrote:If possible i'd like to have a sub forum "Games"
Therein sub forums with "AGI&SCI" or "Sierra", "LucasArts", "Humongous", "Kyrandia", "Goblins"
The rest would go in "Others" and of course new sub forums submerge as new engines are implemented (at least a new sub forum for engines that support more than three games?)
I don't know. The ScummVM forums have never really had any high traffic on general game questions and discussion, only the general questions in Help and Support, such as how to get a given game running. As such, I don't really see there being the volume of messages that would make it worthwhile to set up different forums for different game engines.

The AGI/SCI forum is different in that it's catering to people creating their own games, which makes it reasonable to have it's own group.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Interesting idea Raziel. All I can say is I've come across many forums with so many sub-forums that many don't get used and posts that should belong in them are started in the forum's main (General) sub-forum.
I personally like the different platforms sub-forums as I have experience of ScummVM with Nintendo Wii and DS as well as desktop. So I check Gen, Help, Junk, Wii and DS and sometimes Other. I really like the set up and thinking about other ways to keep up with my usual forums and then another 5 - well there's no rss except for news I think and I really don't want email alerts for every post in my inbox.
I think your idea would be good if the forums were a lot busier with say about 5 requests for help with each game / engine every day.
MusicallyInspired

dreammaster wrote:The AGI/SCI forum is different in that it's catering to people creating their own games, which makes it reasonable to have it's own group.
This. That's the mindset behind the agigames.com and sciprogramming.com websites. They have little to do with the official games themselves. As such, I think the forum should be renamed to "AGI/SCI game development" or something along those lines. It's a bit misleading as it is and counter-productive to continuing the trend and the point of why Mega-Tokyo existed in the first place.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@all

I hear you :-)

Yeah, it seems the idea itself bears a lot of overhead or overkill

I like the idea of gathering the Mega-Tokyos and AGI&SCI devs in an AGI/SCI development sub forum, though

It's probably better if game related issues go in Help anyway
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

No, we're not going to add forums dedicated to the games support. Particularly because not all developers play those games (consider me, who finished just few of the games I worked on).

What we will welcome is game development forums, and if you need 2 separate, one for AGI and another for SCI, just tell me.

Still we need to get hold of mega-tokyo archives. Anyone? And we need to copy AGI Wiki, though I believe I can do it by myself since it is simple copy/paste.

Eugene
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

What's happening with the datafiles listings? I wish I could help out with that but unfortunatly I have no idea what files are required:P
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

I would like to suggest that this forum be renamed from "Sierra Games" to "SCI/AGI Fangames". As MusicallyInspired pointed out in another topic, the forum's name is currently quite misleading. I expect this will lead to forum being filled with non-fangame discussion.
MusicallyInspired

Awesome. Good switch, IMO.