Tool(s) to modify SCUMM V3 background images

AGI, SCI, Wintermute, Sludge engines fangame creation discussion

Moderators: ScummVM Team, AGI moderators

SarutobiSasuke

Tool(s) to modify SCUMM V3 background images

Post by SarutobiSasuke »

I am desperately trying to find a way to modify background images from SCUMM V3 games (Indy3 and Zak FM-Towns)
The tools I could find only work with V1, V2, V5 and V6 games but not V3... :(
Does anyone know a tool or method to decode/encode images from SCUMM V3?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Tool(s) to modify SCUMM V3 background images

Post by Praetorian »

SarutobiSasuke wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:35 pm I am desperately trying to find a way to modify background images from SCUMM V3 games (Indy3 and Zak FM-Towns)
The tools I could find only work with V1, V2, V5 and V6 games but not V3... :(
Does anyone know a tool or method to decode/encode images from SCUMM V3?
Was Indy 3 VGA version SCUMM V3? Or Loom's EGA version?
I remember that I wrote a simple C program some twenty years ago for translating some images in Greek for Loom (EGA) and I think I used an existing tool for the same task for Indy 3 VGA.

My program (for Loom's images) is not on any of the backups that I currently have, but maybe I can find it at my home's archives (when I visit around Easter)
SarutobiSasuke

Post by SarutobiSasuke »

Thanks for the reply Praetorian!
Yes, Indy 3 VGA is SCUMM V3. Loom EGA should be V3 as well according to the ScummVM Wiki https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?title=SCUMM/Versions.

It's sad that a lot of knowledge about SCUMM hacking has been lost over the years. Especially about older SCUMM games.
I've contacted quite a few people in the last few weeks. Most of them didn't answer but the few that did said the same thing as you. They developed something but they can't find it anymore...
I keep my fingers crossed that you can dig something out from your home's archives :D
SimonPPC

Post by SimonPPC »

SarutobiSasuke wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:43 pm Thanks for the reply Praetorian!
Yes, Indy 3 VGA is SCUMM V3. Loom EGA should be V3 as well according to the ScummVM Wiki https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?title=SCUMM/Versions.

It's sad that a lot of knowledge about SCUMM hacking has been lost over the years. Especially about older SCUMM games.
I've contacted quite a few people in the last few weeks. Most of them didn't answer but the few that did said the same thing as you. They developed something but they can't find it anymore...
I keep my fingers crossed that you can dig something out from your home's archives :D
Hi SarutobiSasuke,
You have find the tool for modify the graphics in Loom V3?
I have found in internet the russian group have modifiy Loom EGA.. but not respond :(
SarutobiSasuke

Post by SarutobiSasuke »

SimonPPC wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:08 pm You have find the tool for modify the graphics in Loom V3?
Nope. Unfortunately not. I gave up on it tbh.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

SimonPPC wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:08 pm Hi SarutobiSasuke,
I have found in internet the russian group have modifiy Loom EGA.. but not respond :(
SarutobiSasuke wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:53 pm Nope. Unfortunately not. I gave up on it tbh.
Hey there, I managed to find the tool I'd written all those years ago. It's not as mature or user-friendly as I would expect today, but it does the job, if assisted by a bunch of other tools. I've just tested it on Windows 10 x64.

I've also written a PDF with instructions on how to use it.

I've uploaded the tool(LMRP.exe), a required dll (alleg42.dll), the instructions pdf, the scummrp (v0.2 by Thomas Combeleran) and LucasRipper tool (beta 4 by Tobias Fleischer) in a 7z archive here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E5Q4Tp ... sp=sharing

Let me know if this helps.
SarutobiSasuke

Post by SarutobiSasuke »

Wow, that's amazing Praetorian! Thanks a lot mate. Will give it a try as soon as possible. Hopefully I'll find some time this weekend.
SimonPPC

Post by SimonPPC »

Praetorian wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:30 pm
SimonPPC wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:08 pm Hi SarutobiSasuke,
SarutobiSasuke wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:53 pm Nope. Unfortunately not. I gave up on it tbh.
Hey there, I managed to find the tool I'd written all those years ago. It's not as mature or user-friendly as I would expect today, but it does the job, if assisted by a bunch of other tools. I've just tested it on Windows 10 x64.

I've also written a PDF with instructions on how to use it.

I've uploaded the tool(LMRP.exe), a required dll (alleg42.dll), the instructions pdf, the scummrp (v0.2 by Thomas Combeleran) and LucasRipper tool (beta 4 by Tobias Fleischer) in a 7z archive here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E5Q4Tp ... sp=sharing

Let me know if this helps.
Many many many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The step by step instructions will be very useful to me!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

I just realized that step 6 in the instructions pdf is redundant (I forgot to delete it while editing the document). I will delete it in a next revision. It's harmless if you run that command there, anyway.

Step 8 is where you compile everything back to the game's resource files.
SimonPPC

Post by SimonPPC »

Praetorian wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:57 am I just realized that step 6 in the instructions pdf is redundant (I forgot to delete it while editing the document). I will delete it in a next revision. It's harmless if you run that command there, anyway.

Thanks ;)
SimonPPC

Post by SimonPPC »

Praetorian wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:57 am I just realized that step 6 in the instructions pdf is redundant (I forgot to delete it while editing the document). I will delete it in a next revision. It's harmless if you run that command there, anyway.

Perfect ... the tool work very nice....

Many thanks anymore!!!!!

https://youtu.be/zkT02gi5EQw
SarutobiSasuke

Post by SarutobiSasuke »

No luck with Indy3 VGA unfortunately.
Although Loom EGA and Indy3 VGA should both be Scumm v3 games they differ in file structure and file naming scheme.
Also your tool seems to only work with EGA color palette.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

SarutobiSasuke wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:13 pm No luck with Indy3 VGA unfortunately.
Although Loom EGA and Indy3 VGA should both be Scumm v3 games they differ in file structure and file naming scheme.
Yes, it was very much made specifically for Loom EGA translation. Which is why I did not work on it further once its purpose was done.

But the thing is, I did translate Indiana Jones 3 at the time as well, without using my LMRP tool. In fact I bundled the Greek translation for Loom and Indy3 in the same unified patch installer. So, then, what did I use for Indy3 VGA and FMTowns version?

I will keep digging, but this must mean that some pre-existing tools worked for Indy3.
SimonPPC wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:26 pm
Perfect ... the tool work very nice....

Many thanks anymore!!!!!

https://youtu.be/zkT02gi5EQw
I'm glad it was helpful. Cheers!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

SarutobiSasuke wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:13 pm No luck with Indy3 VGA unfortunately.
Quoting you again because a bit more search on Google and my old files yielded results.

There was another command line tool, prior to my LMRP, that was called... BMRP! It didn't support LOOM EGA, which is why I had to write mine, but it *should* work for Indy3 VGA and FMTowns (Indy 3 and LOOM).

I actually wrote my own LMRP tool to have a similar interface with BMRP. However, BMRP does way more stuff than my puny LMRP :). In addition to importing an image back to the game's assets, it also handles the exporting to bitmap (which is required at an earlier step, and for Loom EGA I had to use LucasRipper for that). And it handles "objects" too, not just "rooms".

Credits for the tool (I have the 1.2a version):

Code: Select all

Ver. 1.2a
Programmed by Pavel A. Rumyantsev
usage:
        -d:path - decode BM chunk to BMP
        -c:path - encode BMP to BM chunk
                path - path to the folder with source files
Eg.
  1. Export:

.\BMRP.EXE -d:dumpingtmp\DISK_0002\LE\LF_0023\RO
  2. Edit the BM.bmp in place (no need to name it otherwise).
  3. Import back (after changing the BM.bmp):

.\BMRP.EXE -c:dumpingtmp\DISK_0002\LE\LF_0023\RO
For objects
For objects you use an additional "-o:NNN" switch, where NNN is a number (the object id, which you can see in the file names inside a "RO" (room) folder, ie. OC_0401)
  • Export:

.\BMRP.EXE -d:dumpingtmp\DISK_0002\LE\LF_0023\RO -o:943
  • Import:

.\BMRP.EXE -c:dumpingtmp\DISK_0002\LE\LF_0023\RO -o:943
So the overall process would be similar to the one I've outlined in my instructions in the PDF, but with no need for LucasRipper (you may still use it though to quickly browse through room and object images to find the specific ones you need to change).

Hence:
  1. Use scummrp.exe tool (bundled in my upload for LMRP) to do the mass extracting and importing of game's assets in the "dumpingtmp" folder.
    ie.
  2. Extract from game folder to a dumpingtmp subfolder:

.\scummrp.exe -gp monkey . -od .\dumpingtmp
  3. Do your edits using BMRP extraction of the specific rooms/objects you want, image editing of the BM.bmp files, and BMRP import back to game's assets.
  4. Finally, import from dumpingtmp subfolder back to the game folder (after having done your changes with BMRP):

.\scummrp.exe -gp monkey . -id .\dumpingtmp
BMRP tool uploaded here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vkSGUY ... sp=sharing
SarutobiSasuke

Post by SarutobiSasuke »

Praetorian wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:56 pm Quoting you again because a bit more search on Google and my old files yielded results.
You are simply amazing Praetorian! :D
I searched so long and talked to so many people... and finally someone could help me.
Thank you so much for investing your valuable time in searching through your old stuff.
I'm very thankful for your help!

I already did some tests and successfully modified an Indy3 VGA background image. Very happy right now...

Do you know what games are supported by BMRP? Couldn't find any info about the tool.