Legal Issues with NEW SCI Games

AGI, SCI, Wintermute, Sludge engines fangame creation discussion

Moderators: ScummVM Team, AGI moderators

Uhfgood

Legal Issues with NEW SCI Games

Post by Uhfgood »

Just curious if anyone knows if there would be any legal problems with releasing a game made with SCI Companion and using ScummVM commercially?

I'm not talking about using any existing IP but making your own new game using SCI Companion and using ScummVM as the interpreter.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I have no idea what the actual fallout would be, whether anyone at ActiVision would understand that SCI is something they own or not. However, I would suggest if you're going to do something commercial to just use AGS. It can do almost anything SCI can do and more. Plus more compatibility with modern systems and multiple OS's.
spk64

Re: Legal Issues with NEW SCI Games

Post by spk64 »

Is it possible to add german texts from laura bow 2 floppy to english cd version (talkie) with this AGS?
I've done it to a specific point with SCI methods but most of the scripts had stopped.
But the concept in all worked! English voice and german texts, like in Indiana Jones FoA!
MusicallyInspired

No. You'd have to build Laura Bow 2 from the ground up in AGS first which seems like a complete waste of time. AGS is entirely its own engine separate from SCI. Use SCI Companion for what you're trying to do.
spk64

Post by spk64 »

Hey Thank you. It worked for the first five message sources. It is Awesome, english dub and german sub! 8)
Now i need to investigate how i can modify the font files to add german linguistics like ü ä ö

Is Activision the current license owner for the game?
I would love to share that version after completion! :D
MusicallyInspired

My advice is share it in the form of patch files. The game should load them without having to pack them in the RESOURCE.XXX files. That's the only way you're going to be able to do it and not get in trouble.

Check out the SCI Programming forums. I seem to recall there being some official font resources available there specifically for SCI with international character support.
Collector

Post by Collector »

Just extract the fonts from a German version of an SCI1.1 game.