Current Support for fan made SCI games

AGI, SCI, Wintermute, Sludge engines fangame creation discussion

Moderators: ScummVM Team, AGI moderators

cloudee1

Current Support for fan made SCI games

Post by cloudee1 »

Hey guys, a long while ago Lars had reported that a daily build contained a fix that prevented fan made games using sci studio or sci companion to run in scumm. I was wondering if that has been made part of a stable release yet.

Also on another development note, we now have the ability to play mp3's as part of our games. Have you guys had a chance to look at how that works out in conjunction with scumm yet or no?
cloudee1

Post by cloudee1 »

Nevermind, just grabbed the daily build from the 14th and apparantly I was mistaken. It currently does not run a game that is currently under development in studio or companion. I must have misunderstood, looks like we are still stuck with Dosbox.

It would still be interesting though to hear how scummvm handles the way we managed to incorporate mp3 playback.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

cloudee1 wrote:It would still be interesting though to hear how scummvm handles the way we managed to incorporate mp3 playback.
It's already possible to compress SCI audio resources (of Sierra games) by using ScummVM tools (using MP3, etc.). I doubt that our solution is compatible with SCI studio though.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

It's not about compressing to conserve file space, it's about using high quality MP3s for music and sounds rather than the standard MIDI sound resources the engine natively supports. That means bigger file sizes if anything. But the point is to have digital audio in high quality. I think Cloudee is looking for some cooperation in incorporating this new engine enhancement for the SCI interpreter (which is already functioning in DOSBox) into ScummVM.