Broken Sword 1 & 2 is running slow

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

subcetra

Broken Sword 1 & 2 is running slow

Post by subcetra »

Hey when the character walk somewhere I point its going super slow. But when he starts interacting with someone/something it goings in normal speed. In BS2 its moving a little faster. Feels like its laggy. I'm using HTC desire. Anyone know what's wrong? Some wrong settings or something?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Any walking, or just walking where the screen starts scrolling? Scrolling, of course, causes a lot more redrawing, i.e. it's a lot more work. (Particularly in Broken Sword 2, I believe, since it outputs extra frames to make the scrolling smoother, rather than running at the usual 12 frames per second that the rest of the animation does. Broken Sword 1 probably does too, but I don't think it's quite as aggressive about it.)

But I don't know if that's enough to explain slowdowns; I've only used ScummVM on desktop computers myself.
subcetra

Post by subcetra »

anytime i walk its slows down. i can understand it slows down when the screen scrolls but it shouldn't do it when im only walking. Maby the phone cant handle it..? :(
adiro69

Post by adiro69 »

using the version from this thread , on LG P500 with a 600MHz CPU it seems not to be slow.
czikus

Post by czikus »

I'm using the version from:
http://sites.google.com/site/scummvmandroid/dev
and I have exactly the same problem on HTC Desire with the main character moving very slowly (when the rest of the scene is static).
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

subcetra and czikus: please install "glinfo" from the market. it will collect infos about the GPU capabilities. you can send the infos straight from that app, please mail that to dhewg@wiibrew.org and i try to hunt this down
da1writer

Post by da1writer »

Have you tried this unofficial version, has tons of options at your finger tops and alot of games that ran slow/ had problems are fixed. Kings Quest IV windows version ran really slow on the official version of Scumm VM but runs fantastic on this unofficial version. Check it out!

http://anddev.at.ua/load/scummvm_svn55436/1-1-0-7
Lubomyr

Post by Lubomyr »

Andre (dhewg) already fixed that problem.
With latest official dev-build, game speed are fine.
http://buildbot.scummvm.org/snapshots/m ... st.tar.bz2
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

see here. please confirm if its indeed fixed.
materinho

Post by materinho »

dhewg, i see you are the right person to ask this questions, but any answer will be welcome... Here are my questions:

1. I have HTC Desire 2.2. Which version of scummvm will be best fo it?
2.Is it installation simple as for any other app (just install .apk), or I should copy/install some additional files?
3. In scummvm there is options for video, sound etc. Is it best to leave it on default?

4. What is purpose of this file: scummvm-engine-sword1.apk ?

I know my questions are silly, but i tried to install and play broken sword, and it is really lagy when character walks. So i dont know is it normal or not... Im complete beginner and my knowledge about this things are minimal, but my enthusiasm is max... Please help me, thanks in advance...
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

use a nightly build. install scummvm.apk and scummvm-engine-word1.apk for broken sword 1 support. then copy the game to your sd card, and you should be able to add it via the scummvm launcher.
the settings are okay per default, see README.Android for a short description and adapt those to your liking.