Monkey Island 2 (Android) no keyboard!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tylordurton

Monkey Island 2 (Android) no keyboard!

Post by tylordurton »

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the noob question but I have recently purchased an Advent Vega Tablet Pc running Froyo 2.2 and have installed scummvm.

I am very excited about playing some of my classic games (Monkey Island trilogy/Broken sword etc) but I have ran into a few issues. After a lot of reading I have successfully managed to get the scumm apk up and running with 1 game, by copying specific files from my game folder to the SD card.

Now my background/ramble is done, I wouldlike to know how to activate the on screen keyboard on Monkey Island 2 so I can enter the code wheel numbers so I can start the game.

I have tried everything I can think of but am unable to get the game started.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated

Kind Regards
Tylor
gus
ScummVM Porter

Post by gus »

Hold down 'menu' and the Android virtual keyboard should pop up.

There are various complications with how those keys get presented to ScummVM and I haven't tried MI2 myself, so I hope things are obvious at that point.
qubix

Post by qubix »

Hi!

I've got similar problem.

I have installed 1.2.1 on htc desire z (or vision) with qwerty keyboard, and I have no possibility to use the physical keyboard to enter random numbers at the lame-o-copy screen.

Holding menu does not bring a keyboard up. Physical keyboard does work properly in other games (writing save names, L for look at and that sort of stuff...)

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
gus
ScummVM Porter

Post by gus »

qubix wrote:I have installed 1.2.1 on htc desire z (or vision) with qwerty keyboard, and I have no possibility to use the physical keyboard to enter random numbers at the lame-o-copy screen.

Holding menu does not bring a keyboard up. Physical keyboard does work properly in other games (writing save names, L for look at and that sort of stuff...)
Hrm. If your device does have a physical keyboard, then I don't show the virtual keyboard - which seemed like a good idea at the time, but perhaps wasn't.

Is this the (known) bug that the enter key is ignored, or are other keypresses also ignored at this point?
(I'll have to try MI2 myself... There really isn't anything clever happening between keypress and key event being delivered to ScummVM so I'm confused as to what the problem might be).
qubix

Post by qubix »

Hey! Thanks for answering!

I did not get to the phase where I need to press enter.

On my phone you need to press FH+q to get 1, FN+w for 2 etc. Pressing any of them does not bring the number on the screen. It works ok when I want to enter a savegame name in monkey1 or indiana jones atlantis.

It works ok on windows and on linux...

Is there some secret key combination to enable the on screen keyboard anyway?
jwilson56

Post by jwilson56 »

I am using a Kindle Fire (running Android) and I can't get the keyboard to pop when I press the Menu. Any ideas?
mamieyannick

Post by mamieyannick »

gus wrote:Hold down 'menu' and the Android virtual keyboard should pop up.
That works just fine on my HTC One S !
Thank you so much

:D
Ahmes-Nefertari

Re: Monkey Island 2 (Android) no keyboard!

Post by Ahmes-Nefertari »

How can I download The Secret of Monkey Island 2 on my android?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Monkey Island 2 (Android) no keyboard!

Post by sev »

Ahmes-Nefertari wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:10 am How can I download The Secret of Monkey Island 2 on my android?
Reading documentation could help: https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/othe ... droid.html

Eugene