ScummVM 1.2.0 for Android?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

lbds137

Post by lbds137 »

gus wrote:
vatvedt wrote:Yes, at least Full Throttle do req. a longpress to open the "action menu". I think Monkey Island 3 do the same.
Grrr. This is why the right-mouse input sucks on Android - any input method I can think of has a corner case where it won't work :(
Would double tap work, or is there a corner case for that, as well?
vatvedt

Post by vatvedt »

gus wrote:Grrr. This is why the right-mouse input sucks on Android - any input method I can think of has a corner case where it won't work :(
Might be that the long-press is already mapped as right-mouse though, and that's why Full Throttle uses it. It does require it on the Android, but I can't speak for the PC version, since I've only played on Android. Been ages since I've played it on the pc, so I really don't remember. So it might be the best way to go anyhow. I'm using the unofficial by Lubomyr. He should know the key mappings. If his version uses long-press as right-mouse, go for it. :) If you don't find a better solution. For example on-screen mouse-buttons :)
apaapa

Post by apaapa »

gus wrote:Grrr. This is why the right-mouse input sucks on Android - any input method I can think of has a corner case where it won't work :(
Why not make it an option, so the user can select whichever right-click method works best with his/her device and game? Those with a camera button could select to use that, those with a search button could use that, and so on.
Phawx

Post by Phawx »

Just like to chime in that I am super excited for this build to come to Android.

As for button inputs, would gestures work? So long press + move right equals right click, long press + move left equals left click.

Or even have it that long press Always equals long press left click and the only scenario for right click would be long press + move right.

I know not all Android phones support multi-touch, but there isn't really any panning going on in Adventure games, so no one should be slowly trailing their finger around.

That might satisfy every device?

Thanks for your support Gus!
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

We've discussed it briefly before Gus, but in my opinion the best solution for Android would be relative motion and a near-transparent button on-screen for right clicking (possibly in one of the corners).
Bolli

Post by Bolli »

How about making use of multitouch? (at least configurable for those that support it) First finger selects location to click on, second finger indicates a right-click. As long as you don't release the first finger you can assume no left-click is intended.

ps. i also like the gesture suggestion =)
clashfan

Post by clashfan »

gus wrote:Sorry all - I have been working on some non-ScummVM things and didn't see the 1.2 announcement until only very recently. I'll submit my Droid fixes and get a build up asap (and finally update the version on the Android market).
I've been looking forward to this since I bought my Droid. Hopefully it will appear in the marketplace soon.
Veritas21885

Post by Veritas21885 »

What should I look for on the market? All I see when I type scummvm in the search key all I get are plugg-ins?

also- I dl'ed the unoficial 1.2 for android but I can't seem to install I don't see the spk file anywhere?
Abnormal1

Post by Abnormal1 »

For me the best way would be to map the mouse buttons to use the volume buttons as Vol_up=left and Vol_down=right mouse click.

However due to androids varying hardware you will probably have to offer several mouse options.

How does this work on the iphone port?
vatvedt

Post by vatvedt »

The unofficial works pretty good. The music is skipping a bit on the Hero, though. Hoping this gets fixed in the official version. The music and sound was both great on Android 1.5 with the official ScummVM.

The unofficial is two-part. Download and unpack the data file to the SD, and install the .apk file with the control mapping of your choice. Tested it now, and it works great, except for the irritating music skipping on the Hero. :) Much better than nothing though! :)

Really looking forward to the official one. Hoping it solves the music issues with the HTC Hero on android 2.1 and 2.2.
QuestingHero

Post by QuestingHero »

Not trying to be pushy, but do we have a time frame?
Phawx

Post by Phawx »

QuestingHero wrote:Not trying to be pushy, but do we have a time frame?
As impatient as I am, it will probably always be, "When it's done."
QuestingHero

Post by QuestingHero »

Yeah, I know. I was just hoping to get an "All I have to do is finish *blank*" statement or something.
porga

Post by porga »

Any chance to speed it up with donations?
Edmans

Post by Edmans »

Last night I was, as usually, checking Market and Lubomyrs site for updates on the Android port when I decided to visit http://sites.google.com/site/scummvmandroid/Home. To my surprise I found an update by Gus; scummvm-1.2.0-monolithic.apk in development, posted a couple of days ago.

I tried it with my Hero and Monkey Island 1 and Kings Quest 5 both works perfectly. No lagging or skipping music whatsoever.

Of course there's room for improvement, but It still works (ie. flows) better than the SDL-based port. It can't be that I'm the only one who has tested this version...

/Sebastian