ScummVM 1.2.0 for Android?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

elyorcher
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:18 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California
Contact:

Post by elyorcher » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:42 pm

The Version from the downloads section is working pretty well on my HTC Espresso.Sounds fine, moves fine, Saves, Loads, etc. etc.
Huge Thanks to all involved in ScummVM...

gia2484
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:13 am

Same issues that monolithic had

Post by gia2484 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:21 am

I am testing now the "official" 1.2.0 from the download page. It seems to have the same issues that the "monolithic" one (1.2.0pre) had with Bass, which crashes two seconds in the intro, and Broken Sword, which gives a black screen. I tried to install the plugins for those games from the market, but i dont know if they are making any difference.

Excuse my ignorance, but how does it work with the plugins? i mean, are they effective even if one does not install scummvm from the market? Or the work only with the market version(for which we presumably have to wait)?


Anyway, i am testing on San Francisco/Blade, with Modaco/2.1

clashfan
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:12 am

Re: Same issues that monolithic had

Post by clashfan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:24 pm

gia2484 wrote:I am testing now the "official" 1.2.0 from the download page...
I don't get it, if it's official why isn't it on Android Marketplace?

gia2484
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:13 am

Re: Same issues that monolithic had

Post by gia2484 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:04 pm

clashfan wrote:
gia2484 wrote:I am testing now the "official" 1.2.0 from the download page...
I don't get it, if it's official why isn't it on Android Marketplace?
Hi Clashfan,
I see your point, I should have been clearer.
I call it official because it appears on the download page of the scummvm website; I think they just added it there and I would expect it to appear in the market soon (But again, i am new around here, so I really dont know).
The other one, which was labelled "monolithic 1.2.0pre" is available from
http://sites.google.com/site/scummvmandroid/dev
I called this one "unofficial".

vatvedt
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:24 pm

Post by vatvedt » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:41 am

They're both official. I'm guessing the pre one is just a few days older code. Same guy who released it (Gus).

The unofficial is located here: http://anddev.at.ua/news/scummvm_1_2_0_ ... 10-11-03-8

blunden
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Sweden

Post by blunden » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:27 pm

Is it just me or doesn't the "Correct aspect ratio" option work yet in 1.2.0?

Also, I got crashes when trying to add my games but after trying a few times I succeeded without it crashing and since then it seems to work fine apart from the scaling option. This is on CM 6.1 nightly and the not yet included experimental kernel. Let me know if you want me to try to catch it in a logcat.

In summary: The official 1.2.0 build will certainly keep me happy until the next update. Good work Gus! :)

EDIT: Ok, the ScummVM menu interface looks pretty horrible at the moment but I'm sure there are lots of other more important things to work on.

clashfan
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:12 am

Post by clashfan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:45 am

Any news as to when this will be added to Android Marketplace?

kblood
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:39 am
Location: Denmark

Post by kblood » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:20 am

vatvedt wrote:They're both official. I'm guessing the pre one is just a few days older code. Same guy who released it (Gus).

The unofficial is located here: http://anddev.at.ua/news/scummvm_1_2_0_ ... 10-11-03-8
Nice one. Works very well on my Samsung Galaxy S.

FieraDeidad
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:12 pm

Post by FieraDeidad » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:03 pm

I have a samsung galaxy S and the virtual keyboard works but only some times because i have to hold the left soft button but most times it opens the menu of scummvm (that must pop up only when i do one quickly touch) so i must :left button(open scummvm menu), rigth button(close menu) and hold left to open the keyboard.

Is there a way to use rigth mouse click whith this official version of the scummvs downloads page??(i bored of using "i" key to open inventory on monkey 3)

kblood
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:39 am
Location: Denmark

Post by kblood » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:00 am

FieraDeidad wrote:I have a samsung galaxy S and the virtual keyboard works but only some times because i have to hold the left soft button but most times it opens the menu of scummvm (that must pop up only when i do one quickly touch) so i must :left button(open scummvm menu), rigth button(close menu) and hold left to open the keyboard.

Is there a way to use rigth mouse click whith this official version of the scummvs downloads page??(i bored of using "i" key to open inventory on monkey 3)
They did not add on screen mouse buttons? I havent tried it much yet, but seems like a good solution. I do not remember if it was in the other ScummVM version I noticed it, or the UAE4Droid app that has that function, but I think it would be the way to go.

Someone already did that and more it seems:
viewtopic.php?t=9634

Bullitt2
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:57 am
Location: Mississauga, ON

Post by Bullitt2 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:28 am

I recently rooted my HTC Dream and installed CyanogenMod 6. I installed the ScummVM plugin: made from the Marketplace, and then found the new scummvm-1.2.0-monolithic.apk which I installed. ScummVM opened fine and I was able to navigate to the directory on my SDcard where my files for Return to Zork were stored, and I successfully loaded the game. So far, it appears to be running the same as it did under the old operating system and original ScummVM. However, the same bug issue (which I hadn't reported - this is my first forum post) is still occuring. At several points in the game a character may ask you a question (eg. in schoolhouse), the answer to which is in the game manual. I am able to type in the answer, but the enter key on the Dream keyboard has no effect. I have tried all kinds of key combinations but am unable to "enter" the answer. The only escape from this is to quit and restart the game. I tried the game on my PC and the correct response is to hit enter after typing the answer.

Anyone know a workaround for this? Has the enter key been incorrectly mapped?

gus
ScummVM Porter
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Post by gus » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:25 pm

Bullitt2 wrote:Anyone know a workaround for this? Has the enter key been incorrectly mapped?
Oh - interesting problem. Android likes to turn "enter" into an "I'm done, now pop-down the virtual keyboard" button. I thought I was sending an explicit enter through to work around this, but it mustn't be working.

I'll look into it. Sorry :(

gus
ScummVM Porter
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Post by gus » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:32 pm

FieraDeidad wrote:Is there a way to use rigth mouse click whith this official version of the scummvs downloads page??(i bored of using "i" key to open inventory on monkey 3)
At the moment, you get a right click by holding down "camera" or "search" while pressing.

This made sense once upon a time, but recent phones don't have camera buttons and only "soft" search buttons that you can't combine with other presses. If you have one of these phones there isn't a way to get a right mouse click just yet. I'm holding off on updating the version on the market until I incorporate the patch to improve this fwiw.

lbds137
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:30 am

Post by lbds137 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:36 am

Now that I switched to CM 6.1 Stable with one of the default themes, ScummVM runs on my DROID. The only problem I have now is that Beneath a Steel Sky crashes the app a few seconds into the game's intro. It always crashes at the same predictable spot, so I think it's something specific to the app and not my phone's environment. I was able to play Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and Day of the Tentacle with no problems whatsoever.

gus
ScummVM Porter
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Post by gus » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:27 am

lbds137 wrote:Now that I switched to CM 6.1 Stable with one of the default themes, ScummVM runs on my DROID. The only problem I have now is that Beneath a Steel Sky crashes the app a few seconds into the game's intro. It always crashes at the same predictable spot, so I think it's something specific to the app and not my phone's environment. I was able to play Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and Day of the Tentacle with no problems whatsoever.
It crashes during the intro? I don't have a CM 6.1 device, but I can certainly test that easily enough.

If I can't reproduce it on my device (or you want to investigate it yourself), you'll need to install the Android SDK, plug in your USB cable and enable "USB debugging" in the phone settings. Grab the output from "adb logcat" after the crash and it should have a stack trace and a bunch of other interesting output.

Since other games work fine for you, I suspect it is something unusual that BASS does at that point - or a non-Android-specific bug in the engine (which seems unlikely if it is that easy to reproduce).

Post Reply