port to android g1??

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Muty

Post by Muty »

Hats off sir. You just made my day

I got it from the market a few hours ago.
Great job, and one that was much needed.
Made me dig out my full throttle cd :) Man I haven't played that game in a few years. It works perfectly for now.

I was playing around with porting dosbox a few days ago. Got a bit of problems with SDL.

I would love to have a look at the source when you commit it.

Keep up the good work and many many thanks.
chead

Post by chead »

Gus,

Wonderful work! I do have an issue to report, though: If I return to the desktop via the "Home" or "Back" button, then try to return to ScummVM, the display is black (though the backlight is on). The ScummVM app continues to run, but is non-responsive. Sometimes (but not always) the music continues to play. I looked through the comments on the Android Market, and this thread, and I haven't seen anyone mention this so far. I had this issue while running "Beneath a Steel Sky" as downloaded from GoG.com
gus
ScummVM Porter

Post by gus »

chead wrote:Gus,

Wonderful work! I do have an issue to report, though: If I return to the desktop via the "Home" or "Back" button, then try to return to ScummVM, the display is black (though the backlight is on). The ScummVM app continues to run, but is non-responsive. Sometimes (but not always) the music continues to play. I looked through the comments on the Android Market, and this thread, and I haven't seen anyone mention this so far. I had this issue while running "Beneath a Steel Sky" as downloaded from GoG.com
A few people have reported this. I've never been able to reproduce it - I suspect because I have so little memory available that android kills scummvm as soon as it leaves the foreground. Do you have a devphone by any chance? I need someone with this problem to run "adb logcat" while the USB cable is plugged in and grab a trace of what's going on - preferably with a custom scummvm.apk with extra debugging enabled. If you are that person, let me know ;)
Muty

Post by Muty »

I can reproduce the same problem and I have a dev phone.

Here's the output of logcat:

http://pastebin.com/m729cc747

Send me the custom apk if you'd like I've pmed you with my email
DaveA

Post by DaveA »

Thanks for the port! I am enjoying it. Any idea on mouse support, though? I find it incredibly difficult to talk to someone and try and pick responses with my thumb.
Muty

Post by Muty »

Enabling the trackball would be a great.
Cyclone99

Post by Cyclone99 »

Looks good so far. But I am having a problem with Broken Sword I. The first time I ran it, pushing the menu button would crash the program back to the Android home screen. I tried rebooting the phone, and now pushing the menu button brings up the menu, but it's very tiny and in the upper left corner and unusable. Looks like it's using the wrong screen resolution.
tspike

Post by tspike »

+1 for trackball support. I'd be interested to play around with the source as well once it's committed.
gus
ScummVM Porter

Post by gus »

DaveA wrote:Thanks for the port! I am enjoying it. Any idea on mouse support, though? I find it incredibly difficult to talk to someone and try and pick responses with my thumb.
I'm hoping adding trackball "mouse" support will be enough to address this (ie: I was hoping to avoid DS-style zoning).

- Gus
tebra

Post by tebra »

Hi, I have an android port on my Freerunner. This device have no acces to android market. So, could you please post a download link.
For information, Freerunner have a 640x480 screen.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

I don't think the normal Android 1G port of ScummVM will run on the FreeRunner unfortunately.
Normal Android software is Java so it is not processor specific, but ScummVM for Android is not Java but C in a wrapper so the compiled version IS processor specific.
The 1G uses an ARM processor but the FreeRunner uses a Samsung 2442.
You would need a version of ScummVM compiled specifically for Android for the FreeRunner.
Espiox

Post by Espiox »

Just wanted to say thank for putting this together gus. I was surprised by how well it works already. Just a few tweaks (trackball support, perhaps make that launcher look a little nicer) and it'll be fantastic.
TheGoOse

Post by TheGoOse »

I'd just want to say THANKS.

I lost all hope of having a ScummVM port for my G1, as only Java is officially supported, but you've managed to do it. Great job :)

Of course, there are some problems, but it's just great for a first version.

Now I have to leave: Monkey Island CD version is wating me to finish it once again :lol:
EanF

Post by EanF »

Thanks Gus, you've really made my G1 a viable gaming platform in one fell swoop!

Would like to second the request for trackball support, also is it possible to allow the game files to be stored in sub folders rather than requiring they all be in the root of the SD card? I'm a bit of a file management geek :)

I hope that now it's out there that the "proper" ScummVM developers will be picking it up and improing it to the standard we expect from ScummVM on other platforms?
fdisk

Post by fdisk »

Could someone PM me where I can get games? I got the port but I have no clue where I can get games for it. I'm particularly interested in Day of the Tentacle (Never played it), Indy and the search of Atlantis and all Monkey Islands.

Thanks in advance!