Device configuration

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

DeanGAus84

Device configuration

Post by DeanGAus84 »

Apologies if this has already been covered. Has the device configuration menu that briefly appears at the launch of the app been removed? I had it last device, phone died so I got a new one, re-uploaded scummvm but there's no device configuration menu. Was this removed with newer versions? I went into my google play app history to manually get the extra plug ins that a general search doesn't show but still no luck. Can anyone provide a way to get it back for the Android version?
Any help is appreciated.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Device configuration

Post by Praetorian »

DeanGAus84 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:44 am Apologies if this has already been covered. Has the device configuration menu that briefly appears at the launch of the app been removed? I had it last device, phone died so I got a new one, re-uploaded scummvm but there's no device configuration menu. Was this removed with newer versions? I went into my google play app history to manually get the extra plug ins that a general search doesn't show but still no luck. Can anyone provide a way to get it back for the Android version?
Any help is appreciated.
The device configuration menu was in the Android SDL port. However that port was dropped and the current release on Play Store as well as the development builds do not use it.

What is the feature specifically that you are missing? Maybe it's also available in the new version but through a different menu, or we could put it in our TODO tasks for the port.

Also, this thread belongs to the Android Port subforum so I'll be moving it there soon.
DeanGAus84

Post by DeanGAus84 »

Thanks for getting back to me. I used to use it to place some hotkeys in the top corner of the screen for ESC and, the debug drawer and . to skip dialogue. Mainly to help with fate of Atlantis and last Crusade. I can access them manually through bringing up the keyboard but those shortcuts always present were really useful. Is there anyway to get the old build or access something similar with the new port?

Thanks so much
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

DeanGAus84 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:03 am Thanks for getting back to me. I used to use it to place some hotkeys in the top corner of the screen for ESC and, the debug drawer and . to skip dialogue. Mainly to help with fate of Atlantis and last Crusade. I can access them manually through bringing up the keyboard but those shortcuts always present were really useful. Is there anyway to get the old build or access something similar with the new port?

Thanks so much
Custom hotkeys is not in the newer versions. We would like to implement this functionality but, as far as I know, no work has been done towards that.

There is a keymapper functionality in the new port, to map keys to actions, but it would still probably require you to keep the whole keyboard present. You can assign the Back button to one of the skip actions (I think by default it is set to have an "Esc" functionality).

The old Android apk for version 2.0.0 (the last version using the SDL wrapping mod) is on our downloads page (Under "Older Versions Unsupported"):
https://downloads.scummvm.org/frs/scumm ... id-all.apk

Note, that it won't support the newer added engines, since 2.1.0, but it should run the Indy games. It may also have issues with some other features (mainly file access) or launching in modern devices. And, as the download states, it is unsupported.

Installing an older version means that you will have to uninstall the current one. This means that your current configuration and saved games may be lost.
DeanGAus84

Post by DeanGAus84 »

Thank you ever so much for such a detailed and great response. I really appreciate this emulator, I'll be sharing it withy son when he's old enough to play adventure games. Really means a lot to me :) thanks so much
DeanGAus84

Post by DeanGAus84 »

Hello,
I would like to not create another thread and have tried to find a solution. On scummvm Android I have accidentally hit go up too many times until all there is is a / which won't allow me to select anything. I can't seem to progress back to finding any of the folders I once could see and a restart of the app doesn't seem to help. What can I do short of reinstalling the app? I've tried to backtrack and find a solution through other threads, sorry to be a pain.

Thanks
Richd82

Post by Richd82 »

in the box where it brings up the file path, just enter a '/' and hit enter, it should take you up a level. I did the same thing.
LucaJones

Post by LucaJones »

In newer versions of scummvm for android, the device configuration menu might have been removed. Check for updates or reinstall the app to see if it reappears.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

LucaJones wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:28 am In newer versions of scummvm for android, the device configuration menu might have been removed. Check for updates or reinstall the app to see if it reappears.
moderatorial: Are you trying to increase your post count, or what?