Tool tip messages issue

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

nozomi

Tool tip messages issue

Post by nozomi »

Not sure I'm using the right terminology here, but when the cursor is over any part of the interface, a pop-up message appears telling you what that field or button does. With the Android port these message cause severe slowdown and delays. For example...If I add a game, then choose to change the game name, the cursor is hovering over the text entry box. But every letter I change or add causes the tool tip to re-pop up and makes text entry very slow. Once editing text, if I move the cursor to a blank portions of the ScummVM menu I can modify text much faster.

Would it be possible to add an option to disable these tool tips?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Tool tip messages issue

Post by Praetorian »

nozomi wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:36 am Not sure I'm using the right terminology here, but when the cursor is over any part of the interface, a pop-up message appears telling you what that field or button does. With the Android port these message cause severe slowdown and delays. For example...If I add a game, then choose to change the game name, the cursor is hovering over the text entry box. But every letter I change or add causes the tool tip to re-pop up and makes text entry very slow. Once editing text, if I move the cursor to a blank portions of the ScummVM menu I can modify text much faster.

Would it be possible to add an option to disable these tool tips?
I can reproduce the issue. This is not specific to the Android port, although the slowdown is quite more noticeable in Android.
I'd say this is a bug that should be fixed, rather than having an option to disable the tool tips.
We could *also* implement and add the option for that, but for me the priority would be to fix the tooltip that keeps popping up, since this is not proper tooltip behavior.

Edit: I have issued a potential fix for the awry tooltip behavior on editable text fields here:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/3055 (now superseded by the next proposed fix)
Edit 2: Probably a better fix for preventing tooltips popping up while the user is typing in an editable text field here: https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/3057
Edit 3: And an even better (final) fix here: https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/3073
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Tool tip messages issue

Post by Praetorian »

The final fix for this issue has now been integrated to the main development branch of ScummVM and is part of the daily builds (including Android port builds).

As mentioned before, the fix does not offer the option to disable the tooltips entirely, but instead fixes the tooltip behavior as to not interfere with focused Editable text fields -- it also enhances tooltip behavior a bit further with minor adjustments to how they should function and when they should be displayed.