Text adventures

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

pilaxoft

Text adventures

Post by pilaxoft »

So, I readed in this forum that text adventures works fine in Scumm. I can add no game to scumm library. Scumm don't recognize z5, z8, blb.... extensions.
Please, can someone explain me the way to install those games?

Thanks in advance.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Text adventures

Post by Praetorian »

pilaxoft wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:51 am So, I readed in this forum that text adventures works fine in Scumm. I can add no game to scumm library. Scumm don't recognize z5, z8, blb.... extensions.
Please, can someone explain me the way to install those games?

Thanks in advance.
Could you provide some more information on the issue? Such as:
- Which version of ScummVM Android port are you testing with?
- Do you have a PC with ScummVM installed and, if so, do the same text adventure games get added to the ScummVM library on the PC? If yes, what is the version of ScummVM you're running on the PC?
pilaxoft

Post by pilaxoft »

First thank you for the quick answer.
No, I havent a PC since many years ago.

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A TM-T755 running Android 7.1.1
Scumm version is the latest: 2.2.1 pre

My issue is that I cant add any game such magnetic srolls, infocom, inform, glulx, quest...
I go to add game menu and all files are grey when exploring directories. I cant add any of them, and I have hundred of if games.

I have used scumm in my windows ce pda and palm since 0.3 version. Perhaps I am obsolete. :D

I wait u answer.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

pilaxoft wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:00 am First thank you for the quick answer.
No, I havent a PC since many years ago.

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A TM-T755 running Android 7.1.1
Scumm version is the latest: 2.2.1 pre

My issue is that I cant add any game such magnetic srolls, infocom, inform, glulx, quest...
I go to add game menu and all files are grey when exploring directories. I cant add any of them, and I have hundred of if games.

I have used scumm in my windows ce pda and palm since 0.3 version. Perhaps I am obsolete. :D

I wait u answer.
I, myself, are not very familiar with the IF games, but from what I understand they should be supported in the Android Play Store version as they were part of ScummVM's 2.2.0 official release.

So, now, there's two things to try:
1. You can try the ScummVM's "Mass Add" feature, which tries to detect and add all games under a specified folder.
Or...
2. Using the normal "Add Game.." function, navigate inside the folder where your game's data is (or select it without entering it), and press the "Choose" button anyway, no matter if you see greyed out files or not. Do not try to select a file inside the folder. Seeing the files greyed out is expected. This feature (Add Game...) is meant to be used with folders, thus expects folder names, not filenames.

See here for more general info:
https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/use_ ... games.html
pilaxoft

Post by pilaxoft »

Thanks very much. Massive option apparently works fine for me.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

pilaxoft wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:21 pm Thanks very much. Massive option apparently works fine for me.
Good to read that the mass add option worked! Have fun with the games.