Game Controller Mapping seems broken

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Lunalone

Game Controller Mapping seems broken

Post by Lunalone »

I'm on Android 5.1 using the latest daily build (arm-build). It seems that attached game controllers are not seen properly by ScummVM. Ingame controls for Grim Fandango do not work when using the controller, although the same setup works out of the box whith ResidualVM.
When I try to remap the controls within ScummVM, assigning the D-Pad/Analog Stick only move the mouse cursor and are never seen as D-Pad/Analog Stick input. Assigning gamepad buttons A and B for example assign "Left Mouse Button" and the "ESC" key, respectively. Is there anything I could do about this behaviour or is gamepad control not implemented yet? I'm aware I could go back to using an older build, but I'd really like to play those games that came with the Residual-merge. If someone could shed some light on this, I'd be very grateful!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Game Controller Mapping seems broken

Post by Praetorian »

Lunalone wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:36 pm I'm on Android 5.1 using the latest daily build (arm-build). It seems that attached game controllers are not seen properly by ScummVM. Ingame controls for Grim Fandango do not work when using the controller, although the same setup works out of the box whith ResidualVM.
When I try to remap the controls within ScummVM, assigning the D-Pad/Analog Stick only move the mouse cursor and are never seen as D-Pad/Analog Stick input. Assigning gamepad buttons A and B for example assign "Left Mouse Button" and the "ESC" key, respectively. Is there anything I could do about this behaviour or is gamepad control not implemented yet? I'm aware I could go back to using an older build, but I'd really like to play those games that came with the Residual-merge. If someone could shed some light on this, I'd be very grateful!
While there has been recent work for gamepad support, it was specific for the pre-merger ScummVM's issues.
Following the merger, the ResidualVM's Android port and the ScummVM Android port are being temporary kept separate until we or someone has the time, availability and puts in the effort to merge them, test the nominal games, etc.

So, basically, myself haven't tested Grim Fandango on ScummVM Android daily build, nor any of the other ResidualVM titles. And while I love all of them (well, most of them, the MI4 one not so much :P) I haven't had the time to put considerable extra effort on the Android port recently.

I'd expect more work is to be done for a proper controller mapping / remapping support for the new (merged ResidualVM+ScummVM) ScummVM Android port.
Lunalone

Re: Game Controller Mapping seems broken

Post by Lunalone »

Thanks for the reply, I guess my best bet is to stay with the ResidualVM build until development goes forward. Keep up the good work. Really appreciate what you're doing here!