Tony tough

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Torohak

Tony tough

Post by Torohak »

Game starts OK and mouse moves alright. I've got an Android Samsung phone.

Though it's impossible to keep opened the little action popup needed to i.e. Talking, picking etc

I tried to change the way I use the mouse (you know there are 2 modalities) but I get the same problem.

Also when I managed to keep the popup opened (cause it happens sometimes, it won't trigger the action when I click on it).

HELP
DjDiabolik

Re: Tony tough

Post by DjDiabolik »

reminds me of similar situations with other games that require functions that are particularly suitable to do with a mouse .....

If i remeber one of first two monkey island series..... it required something special than on mobile devices and whitout a mouse it's can be done.

unfortunately they are still games created to be played with the mouse..........

*EDIT*
And i suggest to try to move this thread on Android port section on this forums........ maybe someone will be able to give you some more suitable advice.
tservo

Post by tservo »

I had the same problem with beavis and butthead and Tony. It seems the older 2.2.0 scummvm ver works fine keeping the right click wheel open and useable.Since I use 2 tablets I have one with 2.2.0 so its ok for me. anyways just a heads up.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Torohak wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:05 pm Game starts OK and mouse moves alright. I've got an Android Samsung phone.

Though it's impossible to keep opened the little action popup needed to i.e. Talking, picking etc

I tried to change the way I use the mouse (you know there are 2 modalities) but I get the same problem.

Also when I managed to keep the popup opened (cause it happens sometimes, it won't trigger the action when I click on it).

HELP
Unfortunately I don't own Tony Tough nor the Beavis & Butthead game.

But I can see the issue on the Beavis & Butthead demo we have on the ScummVM site. So I'll try to debug with that one. It looks like the game expects to click and hold right mouse button and drag the cursor to select the action from the pop-up wheel.

So the bug is a combination of right mouse click being a bit finicky (sometime) but mostly not handling the "hold-and-drag" for right mouse click.

We do for left mouse click though, which is what works in LucasArts games like CoMI.

I'll look into it when possible.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Praetorian wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:03 pm Unfortunately I don't own Tony Tough nor the Beavis & Butthead game.

But I can see the issue on the Beavis & Butthead demo we have on the ScummVM site. So I'll try to debug with that one. It looks like the game expects to click and hold right mouse button and drag the cursor to select the action from the pop-up wheel.

So the bug is a combination of right mouse click being a bit finicky (sometime) but mostly not handling the "hold-and-drag" for right mouse click.
If I understand the discussion correctly, Riven might be another good test case. I never got very far into it, but there is at least one place (out in a lake) where you have to hold the left mouse button and drag the mouse to turn a handle.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

eriktorbjorn wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:25 am
Praetorian wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:03 pm Unfortunately I don't own Tony Tough nor the Beavis & Butthead game.

If I understand the discussion correctly, Riven might be another good test case. I never got very far into it, but there is at least one place (out in a lake) where you have to hold the left mouse button and drag the mouse to turn a handle.
Riven should be ok, because left click and drag is working... mostly. It needs a fix to make it working 100% but, as is currently, there is still an easy way to make it work.

However, looking at the code recently I've seen numerous mouse related stuff that have issues or need tweaking so I am slowly working through those. These concern physical mouse device as well as mouse emulation via touch/taps etc.

I also got Tony Tough from the Steam sale so I can test directly on it.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Praetorian wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:18 am Riven should be ok, because left click and drag is working... mostly. It needs a fix to make it working 100% but, as is currently, there is still an easy way to make it work.
Ah, I missed the "double tap" thing. Yeah, it works but it's a bit fiddly on a phone. Then again, if I ever make a serious attempt at solving Riven, I expect to do most of the playing on a computer. I'm mainly using the phone to familiarize myself with the basic geography. (It's actually pretty amazing that it works at all. Back when I first tried playing the game, I remember not getting very far and being frustrated with the CD swapping. Now look at me not swapping CDs at all. :D)

Sorry about the false alarm!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

I've pushed a possible fix for this (with some additional fixes for physical mouse handling).

The bug is tracked here:
https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/12011

The fix is with the commit: https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/comm ... 05e917bc08

Hopefully, the commit will be part of tomorrow's developer build, so you can test with the game.

There might be stuff that need optimization, and I've yet to test it with all of my devices (mostly tested on an Android 10 device).