Big fonts in ScummVM Android daily build's GUI

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Abandoned Witch

Big fonts in ScummVM Android daily build's GUI

Post by Abandoned Witch »

The daily builds have big fonts in the GUI, even in the options (you can only see the third number in the volume control instead of 192). The Play Store version (2.2.1) had small fonts but in the daily master build (2.3.0git) it had big fonts, actually. I've uninstalled the Play Store version because I want to play the ResidualVM games and my phone's resolution is 1280x720.
Last edited by Abandoned Witch on Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Big fonts in ScummVM Android daily build's GUI

Post by sev »

Yes, it is a known problem, unfortunately. The GUI wrongly thinks that you have something like 320x200 screen. Try to switch the Stretch mode to "Fit to Window", it does help in some situations.

Eugene
Abandoned Witch

I tried using the available GUI Stretch modes but however, the font is still big. I hope the next build has small fonts like in the Play Store version though, but thanks anyway.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Abandoned Witch wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:38 pm I tried using the available GUI Stretch modes but however, the font is still big. I hope the next build has small fonts like in the Play Store version though, but thanks anyway.
Do you mean that the Play Store version has plain looking font, whereas the daily dev build has a "bold"-looking styled font?

Or is it that they are completely different size for you?

I am aware of the first issue (the "bold" looking font in the dailies), although I'm not sure what caused it and haven't had time to look much into it.
Abandoned Witch

Praetorian wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:56 pm
Abandoned Witch wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:38 pm I tried using the available GUI Stretch modes but however, the font is still big. I hope the next build has small fonts like in the Play Store version though, but thanks anyway.
Do you mean that the Play Store version has plain looking font, whereas the daily dev build has a "bold"-looking styled font?

I am aware of the first issue (the "bold" looking font in the dailies), although I'm not sure what caused it and haven't had time to look much into it.
I actually mean that the Play Store version (which I remember) has a plain looking font (which is small) and I can relate to those plain fonts, since it is also the font size that was used in some ports of ScummVM and it also fits with the screen size of my phone fully (which is 1280x720) but the dev builds have the same bold font which is used in the PC port (it's edges always gets cut off however)
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Abandoned Witch wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:46 am
Praetorian wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:56 pm

I actually mean that the Play Store version (which I remember) has a plain looking font (which is small) and I can relate to those plain fonts, since it is also the font size that was used in some ports of ScummVM and it also fits with the screen size of my phone fully (which is 1280x720) but the dev builds have the same bold font which is used in the PC port (it's edges always gets cut off however)
Yes,I am not sure why this happened, or if it was an intentional change as part of a theme update.
I think it occurred around the time we merged with ResidualVM, but that could be a coincidence, or me not noticing it before.

That is to say this change wasn't intentional, from my part as a maintainer for the Android port, anyway.
If we find the cause of it, and it turns out that it's a regression or a side-effect, we will revert it.