FireTV Stick 4K

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

fluffychicken

FireTV Stick 4K

Post by fluffychicken »

Before I go faffing around and installing.

Anyone know if FireTV Stick 4K is using 32bit or 64bit programmes ?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: FireTV Stick 4K

Post by Praetorian »

fluffychicken wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:24 pm Before I go faffing around and installing.

According to this it uses a 4x ARM Cortex-A53 @1.7GHz which is "implementing the ARMv8-A 64-bit instruction set"

So, basically, it should be able to run the arm64-v8a (64-bit) apps.
fluffychicken

Post by fluffychicken »

Praetorian wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:32 pm
fluffychicken wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:24 pm Before I go faffing around and installing.

According to this it uses a 4x ARM Cortex-A53 @1.7GHz which is "implementing the ARMv8-A 64-bit instruction set"

So, basically, it should be able to run the arm64-v8a (64-bit) apps.
Yes, but if it is running 32bit kernel/userland then it'll be using ARM v7
Easy enough to just give it a go sideloading I guess, be even easier if it was in the Amazon store :-)

P.S. sorry for the delay getting back, much appreciated.
Mopheus

Post by Mopheus »

Hi, I'm having a similar problem with my FireTV. I transfer the ScummVM latest version from my Samsung J7 phone to the FireTV Stick 4K and it works. But doing the same to the 3rd Gen Fire TV doesn't. The only version I can run on the 3rd GEN is the "2.0.0 Android package (all architectures)" found on old versions.

Can someone help me identify what could be the problem ? Here are both FireTV specs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Fi ... Dev-3rd-17

It seems both have Cortex A53 but one is AMLOGIC (Fire TV pendant 3RD GEN) and the other MEDIATEK (Fire TV Stick 4K 1ST GEN). Both have 64 bits but the FireOS Kernel is 32 bits I think.

I tried both version of the latests ScummVM (v7 and v8) but both crash on start. Is there any other version package that could be missing ?

Thanks for your help and keep ScummVM growing, I love playing old classics on it.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Mopheus wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:24 pm Hi, I'm having a similar problem with my FireTV. I transfer the ScummVM latest version from my Samsung J7 phone to the FireTV Stick 4K and it works. But doing the same to the 3rd Gen Fire TV doesn't. The only version I can run on the 3rd GEN is the "2.0.0 Android package (all architectures)" found on old versions.

Can someone help me identify what could be the problem ? Here are both FireTV specs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Fi ... Dev-3rd-17

It seems both have Cortex A53 but one is AMLOGIC (Fire TV pendant 3RD GEN) and the other MEDIATEK (Fire TV Stick 4K 1ST GEN). Both have 64 bits but the FireOS Kernel is 32 bits I think.

I tried both version of the latests ScummVM (v7 and v8) but both crash on start. Is there any other version package that could be missing ?

Thanks for your help and keep ScummVM growing, I love playing old classics on it.
I'm afraid I am not able to tell what is wrong, without a debug trace, and/or probably the device at hand to be able to test on it.

This page says that the 3rd gen one runs the equivalent of Android 7.1 (FireOS 6) so it should be within the supported range:
https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire- ... t-box.html

The other device also runs the same OS it seems:
https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire- ... ftvstick4k

What version are you testing with?
Did you try with one of the recent developer builds (2.3.0git)?
Mopheus

Post by Mopheus »

Hi @Praetorian, first thanks for your help. I think I tried the latest beta but will try again. By the way, both devices should run what version of ARM in my case ?

https://buildbot.scummvm.org/snapshots/ ... latest.zip
or

I think the first one, right ?
Thanks.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Mopheus wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:35 pm Hi @Praetorian, first thanks for your help. I think I tried the latest beta but will try again. By the way, both devices should run what version of ARM in my case ?

or

I think the first one, right ?
Thanks.
Yes, it should be the arm-v7a version, which is for 32bit ARM CPU architecture.
Mopheus

Post by Mopheus »

@Praetorian, No luck. Latest FireTV 4K Stick works perfect with all versions, but the previous gen 4K (square one) for some reason doesn't start with any newer version that this one:

2.0.0 Android package (all architectures)

and it needs to be the ALL version. Not the others....

If I can help debuging some way I do have some Flutter coding skills and I'm familiar with ADB. If that helps and someone can help me, I can try debug it, maybe help the development team.

By the way, after installing I can see the ScummVM orange screen and then goes back to the home, no messages at all. And it does require permission to read the local storage, just after allowing is when it fails.

Thanks.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Mopheus wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:55 am @Praetorian, No luck. Latest FireTV 4K Stick works perfect with all versions, but the previous gen 4K (square one) for some reason doesn't start with any newer version that this one:

2.0.0 Android package (all architectures)

and it needs to be the ALL version. Not the others....

If I can help debuging some way I do have some Flutter coding skills and I'm familiar with ADB. If that helps and someone can help me, I can try debug it, maybe help the development team.

By the way, after installing I can see the ScummVM orange screen and then goes back to the home, no messages at all. And it does require permission to read the local storage, just after allowing is when it fails.

Thanks.
Thank you for providing this additional info.
I think the best way to fix the issue, would indeed be for someone to be able to debug it directly on the device that has the issue.

If you can provide the ScummVM related log messages (DEBUG level) when running the app before it crashes -- and the corresponding trace log for the crash, it could indicate where the issue lies. Or it could at least tell us, where to increase the log messages so as to trace it further.
breshar

Post by breshar »

Hello,

I am noob. I have TCL with Android and couldn't make ScummVM run.

Today I plugged in Fire Stick 4K and set up everything that I could. I wonder now if you found out which ScummVM to run and how to do it?

I just hate it when I can't find apps in play store...

Best,
Gašper
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

breshar wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:15 pm Hello,

I am noob. I have TCL with Android and couldn't make ScummVM run.

Today I plugged in Fire Stick 4K and set up everything that I could. I wonder now if you found out which ScummVM to run and how to do it?

I just hate it when I can't find apps in play store...

Best,
Gašper
Based on the conversation above, it depends on what revision of the Fire Stick you have.
I'd start with the 2.5.0 arm64-v8a version, and if that does not work, try 2.5.0 arm-v7a.
And if those fail then try the old "2.0.0 Android package (all architectures)".

If the Play Store does not show apps for your device, the app packages are available at the ScummVM downloads page:
https://www.scummvm.org/downloads/

Unfortunately, I (still) do not own an Android TV nor a Fire Stick 4K so I cannot test hands on.
breshar

Post by breshar »

Praetorian thank you so much.

According to info I found in My Fire TV it is:
- Fire TV Stick 4K
- Software Version: Fire OS 6.2.8.1 (NS6281/4812)
- Fire TV Home Version: 6341067.1

I tried 2.5.1 arm64-v8a first but couldn't install it, got system message that it is not supported. Installing arm.v7a worked and I managed to open the app.

I am very thrilled and can't wait for tomorrow to add games.

Thank you sooo much! You can't imagine how much I appreciate it <3